Joe and Anthony Russo participated in the “Avengers: Infinity War” junket this weekend and while speaking with Collider, the pair were asked if they think the upcoming fourth “Avengers” film next year will run longer than Infinity War’s 160 minute runtime.
Joe Russo responds: “I do”. Anthony Russo says the rough cut of the fourth film: “is pretty long… also I don’t know you can even properly call it a rough cut because… it’s more like an assembly”. Joe adds: “It’s our longest rough cut of any to date”.
Asked if they think it could be a three-hour film, Anthony Russo says: “They [Disney] have never put a time…to their credit we’ve never gotten a time mandate from them.” Joe Russo adds: “I’d say it could easily be a three-hour film, but I’ll say we work very hard on the material. We like it to play at a certain pace…I’m sure that will squeeze it. I do think it will be longer than Avengers 3.”
The pair has previously said they won’t be revealing the title of the next film until well into the release of ‘Infinity War’, in fact Scarlet Witch herself Elizabeth Olson has indicated the actors don’t know the title either. The Russos tell Yahoo UK: “It’s going to be quite a long while before people see that title. We need people to see this movie, digest this movie, and then we can tell them what the next story is they’re going to see.”
They also say that due to the amount of characters in ‘Infinity War’ and various scenes being played around with and boasting a lot of improvisation, there will be plenty of cut scenes and alternate takes for the home video release.
Estimates have the $300 million-budgeted ‘Infinity War’ scoring a $248 million domestic opening weekend. The film has its premiere Monday night in Los Angeles, the first time it will be shown in full anywhere in the world, with media screenings then happening afterwards. First reactions are expected online late Tuesday as the film starts opening around the world from Wednesday.