USA Today recently visited the set of the third “Transformers” and garnered several new tidbits on the film:
– Despite Michael Bay not being a fan of 3D, the film will be released in 3D though it’s unsure as yet if it will be shot that way or converted in post-production.
– Bay partly blames the rush to churn out the first sequel so soon after the writer’s strike to blame for ‘Revenge of the Fallen’ being so shit.
– Shockwave has been confirmed as the villain, the character described as “the robot cyclops-turned-laser-cannon, who became dictator of their home world of Cybertron after the other Autobots and Decepticons journeyed to Earth.”
– Another story element was the Cold War space race between the U.S.S.R. and the USA with a hidden Transformers role in it that remains one of the planet’s most dangerous secrets.
– Bay says this third one “really builds to a final crescendo. It’s not three multiple endings” and they’ve removed much of the “dorky comedy”. This includes the racist robot twins who are “basically gone” from this, but John Turturro will still provide some comic relief.
– Also don’t expect any resurrections as this is a ‘trilogy capper’ – “As a trilogy, it really ends. It could be rebooted again, but I think it has a really killer ending.”