After allegations were made about his conduct while involved in a Sydney play, actor Geoffrey Rush has announced that he is taking legal action and has filed a defamation case against Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraph.
The paper published an article last week claiming the Sydney Theatre Company had received a complaint about ‘inappropriate behaviour’ following the production of “King Lear” two years ago. In the wake of that news, The Sydney Theatre Company confirmed it received a complaint but would not disclose details of the allegations including the nature of what took place or who else was involved.
The allegations prompted Rush resignation last week as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television just days before the awards were handed out, with numerous show business identities coming to his defense such as Rachel Griffiths who told ABC Australia this week: “Geoffrey Rush is not Harvey Weinstein and I have had more than a handful of interactions with Harvey Weinstein.”
Appearing at a press conference just held at his lawyer’s office in Melbourne, Rush says:
“It is an action I am taking in order to redress the slurs, innuendo and hyperbole they have created around my standing in the entertainment industry. The Daily Telegraph has made false, pejorative and demeaning claims – splattering them with unrelenting bombast on its front pages.
This has created irreparable damage to my reputation, has been extremely hurtful to my wife, my daughter and my son and to my extended family as well as to many colleagues in the film, told vision and theatre industry. The situation is intolerable and I must now seek vindication of my good name through the courts.”
— Nine News Australia (@9NewsAUS) December 8, 2017
Source: The Australian