Hitfix writer and outright internet legend Drew McWeeny posted up review tweets for the script of Jose Padhila’s upcoming “Robocop” remake and the reaction isn’t good. Drew did reveal some spoilers – amongst the new facts learned:
– The original Robocop design is shown to a “focus group of criminals” who laugh at it, prompting a meaner looking redesign which “passes approval”.
– In fact the design undergoes at least three alterations throughout the film which has already lead to comparisons with “Transformers”. The final version “looks like a cop on steroids painted metallic blue”.
– The construction of this new Robocop is outsourced to China. He also has “social mode” and “combat mode”.
– The ED-209s are introduced out in the field in Iran where they’re used to subdue suicide bombers.
– Dropped into an Al Qaeda training camp, this Robocop is “programmed to incapacitate in all scenarios” so no hardcore violence or blood.
McWeeny concludes his review thusly: “I’ll say this: once the script stops all the winky-winky crap and just starts telling a story, it’s not terrible. But it’s way too late. If you can get past Robocop The Transformer, there are some interesting action beats. And I’m sure Padilla will direct the hell out of it. But overall? Ouch. Ouch. Ohpleasedon’t. Ouch. And a big side order of ouch.”