News

New "Power Rangers" Film Is NOT A Reboot

By Garth Franklin Monday July 21st 2014 06:16PM

The upcoming reboot of the "Power Rangers" franchise at Lionsgate is picking up steam with last week's hiring of "X-Men: First Class" scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stenz, while "Star Trek" and "Transformers" scribe Roberto Orci has come onboard as executive producer.

Now, Orci has spoken about the project, which is still in very early days yet, and surprisingly reveals that it's NOT a reboot but rather a refresh (ala "Doctor Who") as it will exist in continuity with the world of the TV series but serve as a good launching point for newcomers. He tells IGN:

"One of the first things we did was learn and read… [Saban] has 600 pages of research that they have on their stuff. We read through the synopsis of everything they did and we are actually taking into account quite a bit of the canon in a real way. We're not just a leave it behind reboot.

[Haim] Saban cares very much about that. This is something that he created. I had to go to his house, personally, to tell him, 'Listen, I'm your man. Miller and Stenz, these are your guys. I promise you I won't ruin your franchise.' And he said, 'It's very important to me, because kids around the world know what the Power Rangers are. So you can't just come in here and walk all over it. It better be consistent with what I've been doing.' And I said, 'Yes sir!'...Its got a continuity within the world. I can't tell you what, but it does have a continuity.”

Asked if we might see cameos from some original cast members, Orci said he was open to the possibility: "Of course. That's something we want to rely on the Saban group to tell us. They have a lot of internal knowledge of their franchise and we're just learning now. We've seen it only as fans, but they actually know it inside and out, so I'd love to know what fans want to see."

SHARE: