News

Marvel's "Ant-Man" Could Be Delayed?

By Garth Franklin Wednesday May 28th 2014 03:55PM
Marvel's "Ant-Man" Could Be Delayed?

Officially Marvel still has every intention of sticking to its proposed July 17th 2015 release date for the company's long-gestating adaptation of the "Ant-Man" comics.

Unofficially, further details about director Edgar Wright's sudden and unexpected departure from the project have emerged via THR and chances are a delay might be inevitable at this point.

Seems with Wright's departure, a bunch of key department heads have also left the project. Marvel has yet to announce a new director and must also find replacements for that exited crew before production can begin. They will move fast on this, the question is how fast.

Either way it is not an enviable position for the replacements - whomever comes onboard will only have a few weeks to prep a film Wright had already been working on since 2006.

Adding to the problem, the recent rewrites the studio ordered had already put the production almost two months behind schedule. Filming was supposed to get underway next week but got pushed to the end of July due to the revisions.

Whilst Marvel's Kevin Feige said only last year that Wright's vision "is the only reason we're making the movie," sources tell the trade that the Marvel machine had gotten nervous about his take and subsequently ordered the revisions which Wright and Joe Cornish weren't a part of and ultimately led to the departure.

Their source says: "Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get. They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record."

The source also says tone was an issue, with the company worried about the property being "too quirky," especially in the wake of the upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy" about which "Marvel feels it already might have gone outside its comfort zone".

Certainly the beloved Wright isn't the first auteur to be replaced by the Marvel machine. The "Thor" franchise in particular was hit hard, the first film's director Kenneth Branagh opting out of "Thor: The Dark World," replaced by Patty Jenkins who was then subsequently replaced by Alan Taylor. The resulting sequel proved to be one of the weakest reviewed films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe thus far.

SHARE: