News

"Locke & Key" Delayed By Failed Pilot?

By Garth Franklin Tuesday November 19th 2013 09:27AM

The long awaited film adaptation of Joe Hill's comic "Locke and Key" is going to have to wait a bit longer.

At last report, the property was coming to the big screen with Hill working alongside "Star Trek" and "Transformers" scribes Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman to adapt it.

Then came word last week that all three were to be involved in "Darkside," The CW's reboot of the "Tales from the Darkside" franchise. So what happened to 'Locke'? Hill tells MTV that development of the film has stalled somewhat over concerns about the previous adaptation.

FOX ordered an adaptation of the comic to pilot, a pilot that was shot in early 2011 and starred the likes of Miranda Otto and Nick Stahl. A few months later, Fox confirmed the show would not be picked up. Hill says:

"Universal is dealing with a bureaucracy as labyrinthine and implacable as their own: FOX TV. Uni wants to avoid spending $25 million on a movie, and then have FOX steal their thunder by releasing a three-year-old pilot. FOX wants to see some coin on all the money they sank into the pilot in the first place.

FOX wants to see some coin on all the money they sank into the pilot in the first place. The lawyers all have to validate their salaries. That said, Alex and Bob are the two most tenacious people I've ever met, and if anyone can see 'Locke & Key' through the contractual maze, and on into production, it's them. Of course all this could've been avoided if FOX had just made the series."

SHARE: