News

"Mortal Instruments" Sequel Fate In Doubt

By Garth Franklin Wednesday September 11th 2013 03:21AM
"Mortal Instruments" Sequel Fate In Doubt

Production on "The Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes," the proposed sequel to the young adult fantasy lit adaptation "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones," has been delayed indefinitely.

The news comes following the tepid box-office opening for 'Bones' last month. The $60 million-budget film has pulled in a mere $37 million worldwide so far and opened to both scathing reviews and a disappointing $14 million over five days in the United States.

Pre-production on the sequel was already underway with Sigourney Weaver set to join the cast, and filming to begin as early as next week. Constantin Film says the delay is so that the company can "analyze the results to date and reposition the franchise in order to maximize results for future installments." Constantin Film's Martin Moszkowicz says:

"Pushing back the start of production of City of Ashes was a decision we did not take lightly. But after speaking with all of our partners on the creative and distribution side, it was clear that it will be beneficial to have more time to reposition the film in the current marketplace. The Mortal Instruments series has an incredibly loyal and ardent fan base and is a best-selling book series. While taking Cassandra Claire's [sic] vision to the screen we want to make sure to draw on the full potential of the franchise."

One wonders if the whole project will quietly disappear, much like the way proposed sequels to young adult lit adaptations like "Eragon," "The Golden Compass," "The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising," "Lemony Snicket" and "Beautiful Creatures" seem to quietly disappear following the poor box-office performances of the first film.

Source: THR

SHARE: