News

Stoller Gives "Muppets" Sequel Update

By Garth Franklin Monday April 16th 2012 10:04AM
Stoller Gives "Muppets" Sequel Update

The critics swooned over last year's "The Muppets" movie, and the box-office was also pretty decent if a touch quiet on the global front ($90M domestic, $70M international).

However, thanks to a restrained $45 million budget and having effectively relaunched a well-respected major brand (along with all its ancillary sources of revenue), it comes as little surprise Disney is already pursuing a potential sequel.

Nick Stoller, a writer/producer on the first film, was out recently doing promotion for his upcoming romantic dramedy "The Five Year Engagement" and was asked by Collider how far along another 'Muppets' film is.

Stoller says "They want to do it. They want it as soon as possible, which is good. I'm not sure exactly when they want to release it. I think it was something like next summer. I don't think that's realistic in terms of getting it all together in time. But to want to do it so quickly is great. It certainly makes us want to write it quickly. I'm writing with James Bobin. We've outlined it over the past couple weeks and we literally started writing it yesterday. The first 13 pages are written. It is started. It is on."

The first film's star Jason Segel has previously said he doesn't want to be a part of this sequel, but there might be a cameo opportunity. Stoller says "There's a cameo possibility in it, definitely. Gary and Mary's story is concluded. There's not much to say after that for their story, but we follow them up into a...I will say, it is a caper. It is a comedy caper. It's similar to the first one. It had dramatic connections to the first Muppet movie, but it was a whole new thing, hopefully. This is the same thing. We love The Great Muppet Caper. So this has some elements of that, but it's different because it's in the tone of what [we] like to do."

For the full interview click here.

SHARE: