Following in the wake of Friday’s teaser trailer, filmmaker Josh Boone has spoken about his upcoming “X-Men” spin-off film “The New Mutants” and says he pitched a trilogy to 20th Century Fox with plans already in place for potential follow-ups should the first be successful.
Speaking with IGN, he says that despite the overt horror overtones of the material that it is very much a part of the “X-Men” film universe and takes place in the present day:
“We brought it to FOX as a trilogy of films, really all based on that long run by Sienkiewicz, and kind of incorporates some stuff from later issues in the 1980s. These are all going to be horror movies, and they’re all be their own distinct kind of horror movies.
This is certainly the ‘rubber-reality’ supernatural horror movie. The next one will be a completely different kind of horror movie. Our take was just go examine the horror genre through comic book movies and make each one its own distinct sort of horror film. Drawing from the big events that we love in the comics.
It is connected to and a part of the X-Men universe, and will continue to be a part of the X-Men universe and will be a part of that as it opens up in the next movies and all that.”
The first film is reportedly heavily influenced by Chris Claremont’s Demon Bear Saga from the comics, but the Demon Bear is not the film’s primary antagonist:
“I wouldn’t want to give away too much. Although I will say there’s stuff you’ll never see in the trailers that are big parts of the movie.”
He goes on to say reaction to the teaser trailer so far has often involved complaints about characters that aren’t in it right now and he offers a tease of two fan faves being saved for sequels:
“We’re going to introduce new characters in the next movie as well. Characters like Karma and Warlock, and all that will be in future movies.”
“The New Mutants” is currently slated for an April 13th 2018 release.