Production on the upcoming fifth film in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise was reportedly shut down for a week in London recently. The reason? The film’s ending was deemed unsatisfactory according to THR.
Director Christopher McQuarrie has reportedly been given this extra time to work out a new and improved finale with a writer friend whom will be neither paid nor credited and is a mystery for now.
A Paramount insider says: “Chris, Tom [Cruise] and a third person wanted to take a minute to get from what they thought was a good place to a more perfect place,” though other sources tell the trade McQuarrie was scrambling to come up with an ending that would work.
Whatever the case, it seems something was settled on as the Paramount insider says if the had been really concerned, it would not have moved up the release date to July from Christmas where the movie was originally slated to bow. They’ve also been told the film is “not in any way seriously behind schedule”.
McQuarrie has even posted a tweet in relation to the report:
– ChristopherMcQuarrie (@chrismcquarrie) February 20, 2015