- Cast: Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon, Joey King, Liza Lapira, John Carroll Lynch, Jenny Mollen, Jonah Bobo, Crystal Reed, Analeigh Tipton, Josh Groban, Reggie Lee, Dan Butler, Beth Littleford, Katerina Mikailenko, Mekia Cox, Karolina Wydra, Zayne Emory, Caitlin Thompson, Tiara Parker, Jennifer Barbosa, Tracy Mulholland, Janine Barris, Laurel Coppock
- Directors: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
- Writer: Dan Fogelman
- Producers: Steve Carell, Denise Di Novi
- Co Producer: Eryn Brown
- Executive Producers: Vance DeGeneres, Charlie Hartsock, David Siegel
- Art Direction: Sue Chan
- Casting: Mindy Marin
- Costume Design: Dayna Pink
- D.O.P.: Andrew Dunn
- Editor: Lee Haxall
- Makeup: Deborah La Mia Denaver
- Musics: Christophe Beck, Nick Urata
- Production Design: William Arnold
- Set Decoration: David Smith
At forty-something, straight-laced Cal Weaver (Steve Carell) is living the dream--good job, nice house, great kids and marriage to his high school sweetheart. But when Cal learns that his wife, Emily (Julianne Moore), has cheated on him and wants a divorce, his "perfect" life quickly unravels. Worse, in today's single world, Cal, who hasn't dated in decades, stands out as the epitome of un-smooth.
Now spending his free evenings sulking alone at a local bar, the hapless Cal is taken on as wingman and protege to handsome, thirtysomething player Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling). In an effort to help Cal get over his wife and start living his life, Jacob opens Cal's eyes to the many options before him: flirty women, manly drinks and a sense of style that can't be found at Supercuts or The Gap.
Cal and Emily aren't the only ones looking for love in what might be all the wrong places: Cal's 13-year-old son, Robbie, is crazy about his 17-year-old babysitter, Jessica, who harbors a crush on Cal. And despite Cal's makeover and his many new conquests, the one thing that can't be made over is his heart, which seems to keep leading him back to where he began.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Los Angeles, USA
- MPAA Warning: Coarse humor, sexual content and language
- Production Companies: Carousel Productions
2011 Guide Analysis: "After their last film, "I Love You Phillip Morris", was ass f-cked behind the scenes because they showed too much ass f-cking on the screen, the directing duo of Glenn Ficarra and John Requa ("Bad Santa") are having no such problems with this broader comedy with a stellar cast and a script by in demand writer Dan Fogelman ("Tangled," "Cars," "Fred Claus"). Originally slated for April, Warners delayed the film to a more high profile late July bow citing overwhelmingly strong test screening reaction demanding they give the film a bigger push.
Whatever the real story, the draw of Gosling as a cool cat who knows it all combined with the likes of Julianne Moore, Marisa Tomei, Emma Stone, Kevin Bacon and even Josh Groban in supporting roles already make this look ten times more appealing than this past Summer's Carell-starrer "Dinner for Schmucks". Hard to say what kind of tone they're going for here, but with that "Bad Santa" duo in place I hope their knack for punchy comedy hasn't been too stymied by what happened with 'Phillip Morris'."