- Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Vanessa Hudgens, Michael Caine, Kristin Davis, Luis Guzmán, Fileena Bahris, Michael Beasley, Stephen Caudill, Anna Colwell, Paul Klink, Susan Hope Lee, James Troutman
- Director: Brad Peyton
- Writers: Brian Gunn, Mark Gunn, Richard Outten
- Producers: Beau Flynn, Charlotte Huggins, Tripp Vinson
- Associate Producer: Adam Ellison
- Executive Producers: Michael Bostick, Evan Turner, Marcus Viscidi
- Art Direction: Bruce Robert Hill
- Costume Design: Denise Wingate
- D.O.P.: David Tattersall
- Editor: David Rennie
- Makeup: Tarra D. Day
- Music: Andrew Lockington
- Production Design: Bill Boes
- Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
In this follow-up to the 2008 worldwide hit "Journey to the Center of the Earth," the new 3D family adventure "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" begins when 17-year-old Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island where no island should exist.
It's a place of strange life forms, mountains of gold, deadly volcanoes, and more than one astonishing secret. Unable to stop him from going, Sean's new stepfather, Hank (Dwayne Johnson), joins the quest.
Together with a helicopter pilot (Luis Guzman) and his beautiful, strong-willed daughter (Vanessa Hudgens), they set out to find the island, rescue its lone inhabitant and escape before seismic shockwaves force the island under the sea and bury its treasures forever.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Hawaii, USA; New York City, USA; Wilmington, USA
- MPAA Warning: Some adventure action, and brief mild language
- Production Budget: $50 million
- Production Companies: Contrafilm, New Line Cinema, Walden Media
- Production Schedule: 25 October 2010 - 15 December 2010
2012 Guide Analysis: "Though resembling the Jules Verne classic story pretty much in name only, 2008's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" scored decent reviews and an impressive $242 million worldwide. Walden and New Line initially considered an Atlantis-based tale for the follow-up, but instead opted for Richard Outten's spec script "Mysterious Travels" which was retrofitted to serve as a sequel to 'Journey'.
A fusion of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island", Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" and Verne's own "Mysterious Island", here the first film's nephew character (Josh Hutcherson) sets out in search of his missing grandfather (Michael Caine). With Brendan Fraser and Anita Briem out, Dwayne Johnson and Vanessa Hudgens have stepped in to play the step father and love interest respectively.
The original Verne novel dealt with pirates and strange happenings on a remote South Pacific island. The work ultimately proved to be a direct sequel to "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" with an elderly Captain Nemo on his deathbed. That's not the case here as trailers indicate similar style shenanigans to the first film albeit in colourful CG jungle settings with lots of strange creatures rather than dim underground caverns with geographic obstacles.
The first film had the advantage of being one of the first live-action releases using the current 3D technology back when it was a novelty. With that gimmick quickly falling out of favor and with this chapter costing $110 million, almost double the budget of the first film, this is a bit of a gamble that might end up fizzling out ala Disney's "Race to Witch Mountain"."