- Cast: Kate Beckinsale, Alex O'Loughlin, Columbus Short, Gabriel Macht, Tom Skerritt, Joel S. Keller, Jesse Todd, Arthur Holden, Erin Hickock, Bashar Rahal, Julian Cain, Dennis Keiffer, Andrei Runtso, Roman Varshavsky, Shawn Doyle, Nicolas Wright, Patrick Sabongui, Sean Tucker, Paula Jean Hixson, Nick Villarin
- Director: Dominic Sena
- Writers: Erich Hoeber, Jon Hoeber, Alexander Stuart
- Producers: Joel Silver, Susan Downey
- Co Producers: Christoph Fisser, David Gambino, Charlie Woebcken
- Executive Producers: Don Carmody, Steve Richards, Greg Rucka
- Art Directions: Gilles Aird, Martin Gendron, Jean Kazemirchuk
- Castings: Mary Gail Artz, Shani Ginsberg
- Costume Design: Wendy Partridge
- D.O.P.: Christopher Soos
- Editors: Stuart Baird, Martin Hunter
- Makeup: Bridget O'Neill
- Music: John Frizzell
- Production Design: Graham 'Grace' Walke
After two years stationed at Antarctica's South Pole research base, lone U.S. Marshal Carrie Stetko (Kate Beckinsale) is as anxious as anyone to be going home. She's turned in her resignation and is counting the hours and minutes to the last plane out. But three days before departure, a body turns up on the ice and Carrie is immediately thrust into Antarctica's first murder investigation. As the death toll mounts, the mystery deepens with shifting loyalties, deadly whiteouts, and a relentless killer who will stop at nothing to protect a secret buried for over sixty years. Now with everyone around her packing up and getting out, Carrie must solve the crime before Antarctica is plunged into six months of darkness and she is stranded with the killer on a land where nothing comes in and no one gets out.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Montreal, Canada, Winnipeg, Canada
- MPAA Warning: Violence, grisly images, brief strong language and some nudity
- Production Budget: $40 million
- Production Companies: Dark Castle Entertainment, Don Carmody Productions, Silver Pictures
- Production Schedule: 15 January 2007 - 30 May 2007
Columbia Pictures acquired feature film rights to the comic book in 1999 using a script by Jon and Erich Hoeber.
Reese Witherspoon was attached to star in a version in 2002 at Universal Pictures.
The script was written to have a male character star opposite the female lead, since the studio was hesitant on how large of a film audience that the original setup of two female leads would draw.
October 2006 was when the project entered development at Dark Castle Entertainment with production slated to begin in the coming winter for a release date in the first quarter of 2008
Filming began in Manitoba, with latter footage being shot in Montreal. A set was also constructed on the shore of Lake Winnipeg.
Both real and fake snow were used in production.