- Cast: Edward Norton, Keri Russell, Tim Blake Nelson, Susan Sarandon, Richard Dreyfuss, Josh Pais, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Melanie Lynskey, Ty Burrell, Maggie Siff, Lucy DeVito, Krystal Mayo, Randal Reeder, Steve Earle, Ken Cheeseman, Lee Wilkof, Lisa Benavides, Naima Imani Lett, Tim Ware, Alyssia Dujmovich, Tina Parker, Jenna Podell, Leo Fabian, Henry Max Nelson
- Director: Tim Blake Nelson
- Writer: Tim Blake Nelson
- Producers: William Migliore, Tim Blake Nelson, Edward Norton, Elie Cohn, John Langley, Kristina Dubin
- Executive Producers: Avi Lerner, Boaz Davidson, Danny Dimbort, Trevor Short, David Koplan, Stuart Blumberg, Eric Gitter
- Art Direction: Rob Simons
- Casting: Avy Kaufman
- Costume Design: Caroline Eselin-Schaefer
- D.O.P.: Roberto Schaefer
- Editor: Michale Botticelli
- Makeup: Randy Westgate
- Music: Jeff Danna
- Production Design: Max Biscoe
- Set Decoration: Maria Nay
When Ivy League classics professor Bill Kincaid receives news of the murder of his estranged identical twin brother, Brady (both played by two-time Academy Award® nominee Edward Norton), in a pot deal gone bad, he leaves the world of Northeastern academia to travel back to his home state of Oklahoma.
Upon arrival, he finds that reports of his brother’s death are greatly exaggerated, and he's soon caught up in the dangerous and unpredictable world of drug commerce in the backwaters of the Southwest. In the process, he reconnects with his eccentric mother (Academy Award® winner Susan Sarandon), meets a wise and educated young woman who has bypassed academia in favor of the gentler rhythms of life (Keri Russell), and unwittingly helps his troubled brother settle a score with a pernicious drug lord (Academy Award® winner Richard Dreyfuss) who uses Tulsa, Oklahoma's small Jewish community for cover.
Leaves of Grass follows a twisting narrative path merging crime drama, drug comedy, classical philosophy and sudden violence in pursuit of answering one of humanity's oldest questions: What does it truly mean to live a happy and constructive life?
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Shreveport, USA
- MPAA Warning: Violence, pervasive language, and drug content
- Production Budget: $14 million
- Production Companies: Class 5 Films, Grand Army Entertainment, Leaves Productions, Nu Image Films
- Production Schedule: 22 September 2008 - November 2008
Tim Blake Nelson wrote the screenplay with Edward Norton in mind to play the roles of the twin main characters, saying "there would have been no second choice" if Norton had said no.
Edward Norton was so desperate to star in this movie that he took a pay cut, stating in an interview that he "actually got paid half what I usually make".