- Cast: Julia Roberts, Richard Jenkins, Javier Bardem, Billy Crudup, Viola Davis, James Franco, Mike O'Malley, I. Gusti Ayu Puspawati, Hadi Subiyanto, A. Jay Radcliff, Gita Reddy, Welker White, Tuva Novotny, Luca Argentero, Silvano Rossi, Giuseppe Gandini, Elena Arvigo, Andrea Di Stefano, Lidia Biondi, Emma Brunetti, Chiara Brunetti, Michael Cumpsty, Sophie Thompson, Rushita Singh, Ritvik Tyagi, Micky Dhamejani, Christine Hakim, Anakia Lapae, Arlene Tur, David Lyons, Tj Power
- Director: Ryan Murphy
- Writers: Ryan Murphy, Jennifer Salt, Elizabeth Gilbert
- Producer: Dede Gardner
- Associate Producer: Gary L. Hayes
- Executive Producers: Jeremy Kleiner, Brad Pitt, Stan Wlodkowski
- Art Direction: Charley Beal
- Casting: Francine Maisler
- Costume Design: Michael Dennison
- D.O.P.: Robert Richardson
- Editor: Brad Buecker
- Makeup: Eryn Krueger Mekash
- Music: Dario Marianelli
- Production Design: Bill Groom
- Set Decorations: Andrew Baseman, Raffaella Giovannetti, Letizia Santucci
Liz Gilbert (Roberts) had everything a modern woman is supposed to dream of having - a husband, a house, a successful career - yet like so many others, she found herself lost, confused, and searching for what she really wanted in life. Newly divorced and at a crossroads, Gilbert steps out of her comfort zone, risking everything to change her life, embarking on a journey around the world that becomes a quest for self-discovery. In her travels, she discovers the true pleasure of nourishment by eating in Italy; the power of prayer in India, and, finally and unexpectedly, the inner peace and balance of true love in Bali.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Bali, Indonesia; Brooklyn, USA; Delhi, India; Naples, Italy; New York City, USA; Pataudi Palace, India; Rome,
- MPAA Warning: Brief strong language, some sexual references and male rear nudity
- Production Companies: Columbia Pictures, Plan B Entertainment, India Take One Productions, Red Om Films, Syzygy Productions
- Production Schedule: August 2009 - December 2009
2010 Guide Analysis: "The guise of self-empowerment is a nice excuse to travel the world, and that's just what author Elizabeth Gilbert did when she used a book advance to pay for a year's vacation trying out life in Italy, India and Indonesia. Several years on the book has become a literary hit with some strong reviews, most notably from talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, thus the film adaptation was inevitable.
"Nip/Tuck" creator Ryan Murphy actually seems a good fit for the tone of the piece though the casting of 42-year-old Roberts to play the 32-year-old Gilbert has drawn criticism. Despite the age difference though the combination of Roberts, Javier Bardem as her love interest, and various exotic locale shooting should definitely make this a very appealing product for the middle-upper class older female demographic."