- Cast: Jeff Bridges, Michael Sheen, Olivia Wilde, John Hurt, Garrett Hedlund, Serinda Swan, James Frain, Bruce Boxleitner, Beau Garrett, Tony Besson, Yaya DaCosta, Brandon Jay McLaren, Owen Best, Amy Esterle, Elizabeth Mathis, Michael Teigen
- Director: Joseph Kosinski
- Writers: Adam Horowitz, Richard Jefferies, Edward Kitsis, Brian Klugman, Steven Lisberger, Lee Sternthal
- Producers: Sean Bailey, Steven Lisberger, Jeffrey Silver
- Co Producers: Steve Gaub, Justis Greene, Justin Springer
- Associate Producer: Bruce Franklin
- Executive Producer: Donald Kushner
- Art Direction: Kevin Ishioka
- Castings: Heike Brandstatter, Sarah Finn, Coreen Mayrs
- Costume Design: Michael Wilkinson
- D.O.P.: Claudio Miranda
- Editor: James Haygood
- Makeup: Rosalina Da Silva
- Music: Daft Punk
- Production Design: Darren Gilford
- Set Decoration: Lin MacDonald
Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), looks into his father’s disappearance and finds himself pulled into the same world of fierce programs and gladiatorial games where his father has been living for 25 years. Along with Kevin’s loyal confidante (Olivia Wilde), father and son embark on a life-and-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Los Angeles, USA; Vancouver, Canada
- MPAA Warning: Sequences of sci-fi action violence and brief mild language
- Production Budget: $245 million
- Production Companies: LivePlanet, Walt Disney Productions
- Production Schedule: April 2009 - July 2009
2010 Guide Analysis: "Though the big-budget and ground-breaking 1982 original was a famous box-office disappointment, it has retained cult status throughout the years even as your average home computer became able to produce superior effects for one-hundredth the cost and time. Rumors of a sequel have been flying ever since the late 90's, though it wasn't until 2005 that a script was commissioned.
Even then nobody considered the film anything more than a pipe dream until Comic Con in 2008 when a proof-of-concept visual effects test reel that was shown to the studio was aired to a surprised audience and stole the show that year. The project was greenlit soon after and began shooting last April. A few months later in San Diego the official title and first bit of footage was revealed.
Elements from the original are returning, most notably Jeff Bridges reprising his role as Kevin Flynn while Bruce Boxleitner will cameo as Alan Bradley and Tron. Familiar elements are coming back and will be updated including the light cycle, the Recogniser, and the Disc Wars game. There will also be spins on the old tech including a two-seater version of the light cycle called a 'light runner', and a second-generation light cycle designed by Flynn.
Michael Sheen will serve as the film's villain, a night club owner inside the Tron world rather than a new version of the MCP as previously rumoured. Shot for a Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3D release, Joseph Kosinski takes over directing duties while the original film's director Steven Lisberger will serve as producer. Legendary electronic music duo Daft Punk will be composing the film score and will cameo on screen.
Will it work though? The studio has set this as a tentpole film and there's a certain small part of the population that will definitely have an interest, but most people are still unaware of the first film and so as sequels go this one will essentially have to work as a stand alone. Can it be as revolutionary as the original? We'll see."