- Cast: Rain, Naomie Harris, Ben Miles, Sho Kosugi, Rick Yune, Eleonore Weisgerber, Wladimir Tarasjanz, Thorston Manderlay, Richard van Weyden, Stephen Marcus, Sung Kang, Kylie Goldstein, Yoon Sungwoong, Joon Lee, Kai Fung Rieck, Anna Sawai, Linh Dan Pham, Randall Duk Kim, Adriana Altaras, Yu Fang, Patriq Pinheiro, Hans Hohlbein, Jonathan Chan-Pensley, Yuki Iwamoto, Ill-Young Kim
- Director: James McTeigue
- Writers: Matthew Sand, J. Michael Straczynski
- Producers: Grant Hill, Joel Silver, Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski
- Co Producers: Christoph Fisser, Roberto Malerba, Henning Molfenter, Charlie Woebcken
- Executive Producers: William Fay, Jon Jashni, Thomas Tull
- Art Direction: Sebastian T. Krawinkel
- Casting: Lucinda Syson
- Costume Design: Carlo Poggioli
- D.O.P.: Karl Walter Lindenlaub
- Editors: Gian Ganziano, Joseph Jett Sally
- Makeup: Jeremy Woodhead
- Music: Ilan Eshkeri
- Production Design: Graham 'Grace' Walker
- Set Decoration: Peter Walpole
Raizo (Rain) is one of the deadliest assassins in the world. Taken from the streets as a child, he was transformed into a trained killer by the Ozunu Clan, a secret society whose very existence is considered a myth. But haunted by the merciless execution of his friend by the Clan, Raizo breaks free from them...and vanishes. Now he waits, preparing to exact his revenge. In Berlin, Europol agent Mika Coretti (Naomie Harris) has stumbled upon a money trail linking several political murders to an underground network of untraceable assassins from the Far East. Defying the orders of her superior, Ryan Maslow (Ben Miles), Mika digs into top secret agency files to learn the truth behind the murders. Her investigation makes her a target, and the Ozunu Clan sends a team of killers, led by the lethal Takeshi (Rick Yune), to silence her forever. Raizo saves Mika from her attackers, but he knows that the Clan will not rest until they are both eliminated. Now, entangled in a deadly game of cat and mouse through the streets of Europe, Raizo and Mika must trust one another if they hope to survive...and finally bring down the elusive Ozunu Clan.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Berlin, Germany
- MPAA Warning: Strong bloody stylized violence throughout, and language
- Production Companies: Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Pictures, Dark Castle Entertainment, Silver Pictures, Anarchos Productions, Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, Studio Babelsberg, Translux
- Production Schedule: 28 April 2008 - 27 June 200
The project was inspired by the ninja scenes featured in the Wachowskis' 2008 film Speed Racer, in which the actor Rain had impressed the Wachowskis with his portrayal as a fighter.
Producers Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski hired J. Michael Straczynski to completely rewrite the script six weeks before filming started, as they weren't satisfied with Matthew Sand's original work. Straczynski finished the rewrite in 53 hours.
Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg provided filmmakers US$1 million in funding, and Germany's Federal Film Fund provided an additional US$9 million to the film's funding.
McTeigue cited various influences in filming Ninja Assassin such as the films Panic in the Streets (1950), The Getaway (1972), Badlands (1973) and Ninja Scroll (1993).