- Cast: Clive Owen, Laura Fraser, George MacKay, Emma Booth, Erik Thomson, Natasha Little, Emma Lung, Nicholas McAnulty, Alexandra Schepisi, Adam Morgan, Tommy Bastow, Lynda-Maree Gerritsen, Tim Glanfield, Felicity Jurd, Rebekah Rimington
- Director: Scott Hicks
- Writers: Allan Cubitt, Simon Carr
- Producers: Greg Brenman, Timothy White
- Associate Producer: Jessica Beiler
- Executive Producers: Peter Bennett-Jones, Clive Owen, David M. Thompson, Jane Wright
- Art Direction: Janie Parker
- Castings: Nikki Barrett, Nina Gold
- Costume Design: Emily Seresin
- D.O.P.: Greig Fraser
- Editor: Scott Gray
- Music: Hal Lindes
- Production Design: Melinda Doring
- Set Decoration: Glen W. Johnson
Inspired by a true story, 'The Boys Are Back' is a deeply moving, wryly confessional tale of fatherhood, that intimately evokes both the fragility and wonders of family life. It follows a witty, wisecracking, action-oriented sportswriter (Clive Owen) who, in the wake of his wife's tragic death, finds himself in a sudden, stultifying state of single parenthood.
With turbulent emotions swirling just below the surface, Joe Warr throws himself into the only child-rearing philosophy he thinks has a shot at bringing joy back into their lives: "just says yes." Raising two boys - a curious six year-old (Nicholas McAnulty) and a rebel teen (George Mackay) from a previous marriage -- in a household devoid of feminine influence, and with an unabashed lack of rules, life becomes exuberant, instinctual, reckless . . . and on the constant verge of disaster.
United by unspoken love, conflicted by fierce feelings and in search of a road forward, the three multi-generational boys of the Warr household, father and sons alike, must each find their own way, however tenuous, to grow up. Their story is not just about the transforming power of a family crisis -- but the unavoidable grace of everyday life and love that gets them through.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Adelaide, Australia; London, UK
- MPAA Warning: Some sexual language and thematic elements
- Production Companies: Australian Film Finance Corporation, BBC Films, Hopscotch Productions, Screen Australia, South Australian Film Corporation, Southern Light Films, Tiger Aspect Productions
- Production Schedule: 29 September 2008 - 28 November 2008
This is the first time that South Australian Director Scott Hicks has filmed a movie in his home state of South Australia since 1996's Academy Award winning "Shine".