- Cast: Logan Lerman, Uma Thurman, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Rosario Dawson, Kevin McKidd, Catherine Keener, Brandon T. Jackson, Serinda Swan, Melina Kanakaredes, Stefanie von Pfetten, Alexandra Daddario, Jake Abel, Chelan Simmons, Maria Olsen, Steve Coogan, Joe Pantoliano, Erica Cerra, Dylan Neal, Luke Camilleri, Stefanie von Pfetten, Dimitri Lekkos, Richard Harmon, Maya Washington, Andrea Brooks, Dejan Loyola
- Director: Chris Columbus
- Writers: Rick Riorda, Craig Titley
- Producers: Michael Barnathan, Mark Morgan, Guy Oseary, Mark Radcliffe, Karen Rosenfelt
- Executive Producer: Thomas M. Hammel
- Art Directions: Ross Dempster, Dan Hermansen, Sandi Tanaka
- Castings: Heike Brandstatter, Janet Hirshenson, Jane Jenkins, Michelle Lewitt, Coreen Mayrs
- Costume Design: Renée April
- D.O.P.: Stephen Goldblatt
- Editor: Peter Honess
- Makeup: Bill Terezakis
- Music: Christophe Beck
- Production Design: Howard Cummings
- Set Decoration: Peter Lando
It's the 21st century, but the gods of Mount Olympus and assorted monsters have walked out of the pages of high school student Percy Jackson's Greek mythology texts and into his life. And they're not happy: Zeus' lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Even more troubling is the sudden disappearance of Percy's mother.
As Percy finds himself caught between angry and battling gods, he and his friends embark on a cross-country adventure to catch the true lightning thief, save Percy's mom, and unravel a mystery more powerful than the gods themselves.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Vancouver, Canada
- MPAA Warning: Action violence and peril, some scary images and suggestive material, and mild language
- Production Companies: 1492 Pictures, Fox 2000 Pictures, Imprint Entertainment
- Production Schedule: April 2009 - July 2009
2010 Guide Analysis: "Hitting a little over a month before the more adult-oriented "Clash of Titans" rocks into cinemas featuring many of the same Greek deities as characters, 'Percy' on the surface looks less like a rival and more like a cash-in. Pretty much every teen fantasy book series has sold its film rights in recent years with studios desperately wanting to push out a moneymaker of "Harry Potter" or "Twilight" size.
The fact of the matter is though that the genre has produced more flops than successes. The first "Narnia" was a huge money spinner but the second certainly wasn't. The watered down film adaptation of "The Golden Compass" basically bankrupted a mini-major, while movies like "Lemony Snicket," "Eragon," "The Seeker: The Dark is Rising," "City of Ember," "Inkheart," and "The Spiderwick Chronicles" all hoped to become franchises and all disappointed at the box-office.
While Fox 2000's take on the best of the Narnia novels, 'Voyage of the Dawn Treader', opens a few months later - 'Percy' marks their first film out of the gate this year. Early trailers looked very underwhelming, but the more recent previews promise some interesting FX spectacle and at the very least an all-star line-up of talent as the Greek Gods including Pierce Brosnan, Uma Thurman, Sean Bean, Rosario Dawson, Kevin McKidd, Steve Coogan and a few recognisable TV actors.
Chris Columbus in the director's chair could go either way, certainly it promises a family-safe adventure that doesn't really take much in the way of chances. A script by Craig Titley ("See Spot Run," "Cheaper by the Dozen") also means that this will likely be quite bland. The one who might come out the best from all this is teen star Logan Lerman ("Jack & Bobby," "Gamer") who doesn't look half bad as a teen movie lead."