- Cast: Emilie de Ravin, Helen Mirren, Hugo Weaving, Geoffrey Rush, Abbie Cornish, Jim Sturgess, Ryan Kwanten, Sam Neill, David Wenham, Miriam Margolyes, Jay Laga'aia, Emily Barclay, David Field, Angus Sampson, Adrienne DeFaria
- Director: Zack Snyder
- Writers: John Orloff, John Collee, Kathryn Lasky
- Producer: Zareh Nalbandian
- Associate Producers: Wesley Coller, Katrina Peers
- Executive Producers: Christopher DeFaria, Donald De Line, Deborah Snyder, Lionel Wigram
- Art Direction: Grant Freckelton
- Castings: Nikki Barrett, Kristy Carlson, Danny Long
- Music: David Hirschfelder
- Production Design: Simon Whiteley
Acclaimed filmmaker Zack Snyder makes his animation debut with the fantasy family adventure "Legend of the Guardians," based on the beloved books by Kathryn Lasky. The film follows Soren, a young owl enthralled by his father's epic stories of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, a mythic band of winged warriors who had fought a great battle to save all of owlkind from the evil Pure Ones.
While Soren dreams of someday joining his heroes, his older brother, Kludd, scoffs at the notion, and yearns to hunt, fly and steal his father's favor from his younger sibling. But Kludd's jealousy has terrible consequences--causing both owlets to fall from their treetop home and right into the talons of the Pure Ones.
Now it is up to Soren to make a daring escape with the help of other brave young owls. Together they soar across the sea and through the mist to find the Great Tree, home of the legendary Guardians of Ga'Hoole--Soren's only hope of defeating the Pure Ones and saving the owl kingdoms.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Sydney, Australia
- MPAA Warning: Some sequences of scary action
- Production Budget: $100 million
- Production Companies: Animal Logic, Village Roadshow Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures
- Production Schedule: February 2009 - December 2009
2010 Guide Analysis: "Based on the series of children's books by Kathryn Lasky, "300" and "Watchmen" director Zack Snyder tries his hand at the 3D CG animated family film genre with this which he's been in production on for several years down here in Sydney, Australia. No promotional material of any kind exists as yet so no-one is really sure what we'll see, but a few whispers have leaked out that it's pretty groundbreaking for the genre.
Armed with a significant budget, the voice casting of the cream of British and Australian acting talent is exciting while the books themselves are a great launching point. Aside from maybe Pixar's third "Toy Story", this is without question the most interesting of next year's CG animated films. Lets hope it lives up to the anticipation."