- Cast: Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Michael Gambon, Ray Stevenson, Malcolm McDowell, Jennifer Beals, Tom Waits, Evan Jones, Frances de la Tour, Joe Pingue, Luis Bordonada, Chris Browning, Lateef Crowder, Lora Cunningham, Don Tai, Scott Michael Morgan, Sala Baker, Arron Shiver, Justin Tade, Scott Wilder, Lora Cunningham, Thom Williams, Don Theerathada, Keith Davis, Heidi Pascoe
- Directors: Allen Hughes, Albert Hughes
- Writer: Gary Whitta
- Producers: Broderick Johnson, Andrew A. Kosove, Joel Silver, David Valdes, Denzel Washington
- Co Producers: Yolanda T. Cochran, John David Washington
- Associate Producer: Brad Arensman
- Executive Producers: Susan Downey, Erik Olsen, Steve Richards, Richard D. Zanuck
- Art Direction: Christopher Burian-Mohr
- Casting: Mindy Marin
- Costume Design: Sharen Davis
- D.O.P.: Don Burgess
- Editor: Cindy Mollo
- Makeup: Tarra D. Day
- Music: Atticus Ross
- Production Design: Gae S. Buckley
- Set Decoration: Patrick T. Cassidy
Eli (Denzel Washington) has been on a journey for 30 years, walking west across America after a cataclysmic war that turned the earth into a total wasteland. The world has become a lawless civilization where people must kill or be killed. The barren roads belong to gangs of cutthroats who rob and kill for water, a pair of shoes, a lighter, or just for fun.
Eli is a peaceful man who only acts in self defense, and becomes a warrior with unbelievable killing skills when he is challenged. After the war and the "Big Flash", Eli was guided by a higher power to a hidden book and given the task of protecting the book and taking it to its final destination. Eli guards the book with his life, because he knows that the book is the only hope that humanity has for its future.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Albuquerque, USA; San Fransisco, USA; Santa Fe, USA
- MPAA Warning: Some brutal violence and language
- Production Budget: $80 million
- Production Companies: Alcon Entertainment, Silver Pictures
- Production Schedule: 26 January 2009 - 1 May 2009
Kristen Stewart turned down Mila Kunis's role due to scheduling conflicts with New Moon (2009).
Denzel Washington performed all of his own stunts for the hand to hand fight sequences. For the movie Denzel Washington was trained in the martial arts by Bruce Lee's protégé Dan Inosanto.
2010 Guide Analysis: "When Denzel does action, the box-office always opens well for him and a teaming with Gary Oldman makes for a film geek wet dream. Yet beyond Washington doing some kung fu antics, one wonders how many will be inclined to check out what otherwise looks like a bland retread of "Mad Max" with Biblical overtones. The Hughes Brothers previous foray into blockbuster territory, the visually striking but painfully bad adaptation of Alan Moore's "From Hell", means it'll look great either way. More exciting is that some typically rather critical reviewers of this kind of material have been shown this and have passed on word that it ain't half bad."