- Cast: Christian Bale, Anton Yelchin, Sam Worthington, Common, Moon Bloodgood, Helena Bonham Carter, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jadagrace, John Trejo, Roland Kickinger, Jane Alexander, Michael Ironside, Dylan Kenin, Chris Browning, Chris Ashworth, Beth Bailey, Anjul Nigam, Zach McGowan, Babak Tafti, Victor J. Ho, Mark Rayner
- Director: McG
- Writers: Jonathan Nolan, Paul Haggis, Shawn Ryan
- Producers: Derek Anderson, Moritz Borman, Victor Kubicek, Jeffrey Silver
- Co Producer: Chantal Feghali
- Associate Producers: Bruce Franklin, Steve Gaub, James Middleton, Anjalika Mathur Nigam
- Executive Producers: Jeanne Allgood, Peter Graves, Mario Kassar, Dan Lin, Joel B. Michaels, Bahman Naraghi, Andrew G. Vajna
- Art Directions: Patricio M. Farrell, Gregory S. Hooper, Desma Murphy, Troy Sizemore
- Castings: Justine Baddeley, Kim Davis
- Costume Design: Michael Wilkinson
- D.O.P.: Shane Hurlbut
- Editor: Conrad Buff
- Music: Danny Elfman
- Production Design: Martin Laing
- Set Decoration: Victor J. Zolfo
The year is 2018.
Judgment Day has come and gone, leveling modern civilization. An army of Terminators roams the post-apocalyptic landscape, killing or collecting humans where they hide in the desolate cities and deserts. But small groups of survivors have organized into a Resistance, hiding in underground bunkers and striking when they can against an enemy force that vastly outnumbers them.
Controlling the Terminators is the artificial intelligence network Skynet, which became self-aware 14 years earlier and, in the blink of an eye, turned on its creators, unleashing nuclear annihilation on an unsuspecting world.
Only one man saw Judgment Day coming. One man, whose destiny has always been intertwined with the fate of human existence: John Connor (Christian Bale).
Now the world is on the brink of the future that Connor has been warned about all his life. But something totally new has shaken his belief that humanity stands a chance of winning this war: the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger from the past whose last memory is of being on death row before awakening in this strange, new world.
Connor must decide whether Marcus can be trusted. But as Skynet adapts new strategies to end the Resistance forever, Connor and Marcus must find common ground to take a stand against the onslaught—to infiltrate Skynet and meet the enemy head-on.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New Mexico, USA
- Production Budget: $150 million
- Production Companies: The Halcyon Company, IMF Internationale Medien und Film GmbH & Co. Produktions KG, Intermedia Films, Lin Pictures, T Asset Acquisition Company
After Claire Danes declined to reprise her role as Kate Brewster, Charlotte Gainsbourg was once attached to star before pulling out due to a scheduling conflict with another film. She has been replaced by Bryce Dallas Howard.
Helena Bonham Carter replaced Tilda Swinton shortly before filming was set to begin. She filmed her role in 10 days.
The film is planned to be the first in a three-film story arc set in the post-Judgement Day world.
Tragically, Helena Bonham Carter lost four members of her family in a car crash thus filming was halted indefinitely so she could return to the UK to tend to her family.
Director McG asked his actors to read the novel "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, because he wanted them to absorb the bleakness of the world in the novel.
Paul Haggis polished the script and Shawn Ryan rewrote it three weeks before filming.
The first film in the "Terminator" franchise to not be distributed by Warner Bros. Columbia handles the distribution of this film.
The character names of Serena (Helena Bonham Carter) and Burnes (Common) are derived from Serena Burnes, a character in the novel T2: Infiltrator, written by S.M. Stirling.
Josh Brolin was asked to play the Terminator, but he turned it down.