- Cast: Algenis Pérez Soto, Rayniel Rufino, Andre Holland, Michael Gaston, Jaime Tirelli, José Rijo, Ann Whitney, Richard Bull, Ellary Porterfield, Alina Vargas, Kelvin Leonardo Garcìa, Joendy Peña
- Directors: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
- Writers: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
- Producers: Paul S. Mezey, Jamie Patricof, Jeremy Kipp Walker
- Executive Producer: Anna Boden
- Art Direction: Michael Ahern
- Casting: Cindy Tolan
- Costume Design: Erin Benach
- D.O.P.: Andrij Parekh
- Editor: Anna Boden
- Makeup: Leo Won
- Music: Michael Brook
- Production Design: Beth Mickle
- Set Decoration: Richard Bailey
"Sugar" follows the story of Miguel Santos, a.k.a. Azucar, a Dominican pitcher from San Pedro de Macoris, struggling to make it to the big leagues and pull himself and his family out of poverty. Playing professionally at the Kansas City Knights baseball academy, Miguel finally gets his break at age 19 when he advances to the United States' minor league system. Miguel travels from his tight knit community in the Dominican Republic to a small town in Iowa, corn country, where he and a couple of other Latin American teammates are the only Spanish-speaking people in the vicinity. As Miguel struggles with the new language and culture, despite the welcoming efforts of his host family, he is faced with an isolation he never before experienced. When his play on the mound falters, he begins examining more closely the world around him and his place within it, and ultimately questions the single-mindedness of his life's ambition.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Arizona, USA; Dominican Republic; Iowa, USA
- MPAA Warning: Language, some sexuality and brief drug use
- Production Companies: Journeyman Pictures, Hunting Lane Films, HBO Films, Single A Films
- Production Schedule: 8 July 2007 - November 2007
Some of the last names of the Quad City Swing players in the film were those of actual players on the team. However, they were not portrayed by the real Swing players. During filming, the real players were still in their regular season and then post-season.
After this film was shot, the name of the team in Iowa was changed from the Quad City Swing to its former team name of the Quad City River Bandits.