- Cast: Sharlto Copley, Jason Cope, Nathalie Boltt, Sylvaine Strike, John Summer, William Allen Young, Nick Blake, Jed Brophy, Louis Minnaar, Vanessa Haywood, Marian Hooman, Vittorio Leonardi, Mandla Gaduka, Johan van Schoor, Stella Steenkamp, David James, Kenneth Nkosi, Tim Gordon, Hlengiwe Madlala, Melt Sieberhagen, Andre Odendaal, Nick Boraine, Robert Hobbs
- Director: Neill Blomkamp
- Writers: Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell
- Producer: Peter Jackson
- Co Producer: Philippa Boyens
- Executive Producers: Bill Block, Elliot Ferwerda, Ken Kamins
- Art Direction: Emilia Roux
- Casting: Denton Douglas
- D.O.P.: Trent Opaloch
- Editor: Julian Clarke
- Makeup: Leon von Solms
- Music: Clinton Shorter
- Production Design: Philip Ivey
- Set Decoration: Guy Potgieter
Thirty years ago, aliens made first contact with Earth. Humans waited for the hostile attack, or the giant advances in technology. Neither came. Instead, the aliens were refugees, the last survivors of their home world. The creatures were set up in a makeshift home in South Africa's District 9 as the world's nations argued over what to do with them. Now, patience over the alien situation has run out. Control over the aliens has been contracted out to Multi-National United (MNU), a private company uninterested in the aliens' welfare - they will receive tremendous profits if they can make the aliens' awesome weaponry work. So far, they have failed; activation of the weaponry requires alien DNA. The tension between the aliens and the humans comes to a head when an MNU field operative, Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley), contracts a mysterious virus that begins changing his DNA. Wikus quickly becomes the most hunted man in the world, as well as the most valuable - he is the key to unlocking the secrets of alien technology. Ostracized and friendless, there is only one place left for him to hide: District 9.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Johannesburg, South Africa
- MPAA Warning: Bloody violence and pervasive language
- Production Budget: $31 million
- Production Companies: Key Creatives, QED International, WingNut Films, Wintergreen Productions
As part of the marketing campaign in North America, posters were put up in major cities on bus stops, the sides of buildings, etc. designating areas that were restricted for humans only, with a number to call (866.666.6001) in order to report non-humans. The title of the film was generally not included, although the URL address for the film's official website was.
The initial premise of the whole film is based on the Short Film Alive in Joburg (2005), written and directed by Neill Blomkamp, which depicted in a a documentary-style the struggles of social interaction between aliens and inhabitants of Johannesburg ("Joburg"), South Africa.