- Cast: Ralph Fiennes, Felicity Jones, Michelle Fairley, Kristin Scott Thomas, Tom Hollander, Tom Burke, Joanna Scanlan, Perdita Weeks, John Kavanagh, Charlotte Hope, Michael Marcus, Laurence Spellman, Gabriel Vick, Christopher Jenner Cole, Stuart Matthews, Jonathan Harden, Christos Lawton, Charissa Shearer, Tallulah Harlech, Tahirah Sharif, Harmon Joseph, Claire Daly, Harmon Harry, Francesca Bennett, Caroline Kilpatrick, Declan Walker, James Littlewood, Tom Attwood, Joseph Paxton
- Director: Ralph Fiennes
- Writers: Abi Morgan, Claire Tomalin
- Producers: Christian Baute, Carolyn Marks Blackwood, Stewart Mackinnon, Gabrielle Tana
- Co Producer: Kevan Van Thompson
- Executive Producers: Maya Amsellem, Sharon Harel, Eve Schoukroun
- Art Direction: Nick Dent
- Casting: Leo Davis
- Costume Design: Michael O'Connor
- D.O.P.: Rob Hardy
- Editor: Nicolas Gaster
- Makeup: Jenny Shircore
- Music: Ilan Eshkeri
- Production Design: Maria Djurkovic
- Set Decoration: Tatiana Macdonald
Nelly (Felicity Jones), a happily-married mother and schoolteacher, is haunted by her past. Her memories, provoked by remorse and guilt, take us back in time to follow the story of her relationship with Charles Dickens (Ralph Fiennes) with whom she discovered an exciting but fragile complicity. Dickens - famous, controlling and emotionally isolated within his success - falls for Nelly, who comes from a family of actors. The theatre is a vital arena for Dickens - a brilliant amateur actor - a man more emotionally coherent on the page or on stage, than in life. As Nelly becomes the focus of Dickens' passion and his muse, for both of them secrecy is the price, and for Nelly a life of "invisibility".
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Middlesex, UK
- MPAA Warning: Some sexual content
- Production Budget: $20 million
- Production Companies: BBC Films, Headline Pictures, Magnolia Mae Films
- Production Schedule: April 2012 - June 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Following on from his acclaimed contemporary adaptation of one of Shakespeare's bloodiest plays "Coriolanus," Ralph Fiennes will look into the life of the secret mistress of author Charles Dickens for his next acting/directing effort. Boasting a £12 million budget, Fiennes helmed the film from a script by "The Hour" creator and "Shame" scribe Abi Morgan. "Like Crazy" breakout star Felicity Jones plays the mistress, while Fiennes' "The English Patient" co-star Kristin Scott Thomas is set to play her mother.
Based on Claire Tomalin's book, the affair between the then 45-year-old and married Dickens (Fiennes) and 18-year-old actress Nelly Ternan (Jones) was kept hush-hush due to the huge scandal it would have become if it had been made public. Even after Dickens' separation from his wife, the relationship remained a secret. When Dickens died, Nelly married a man 12 years her junior and disguised her own age. BBC Films originally hoped to have the film out for the end of 2012, but now a mid-late 2013 release is the likeliest possibility."