- Cast: Sharlto Copley, Embeth Davidtz, Christian Camargo, Michael Nyqvist, Dan Fogler, Karolina Wydra, Anamaria Marinca, Daniel Wu, Isiah Whitlock Jr.
- Director: Sebastian Cordero
- Writer: Philip Gelatt
- Producer: Ben Browning
- Associate Producer: Matt Levin
- Executive Producers: Michael Maher, Jeremy Kipp Walker
- Art Direction: Anu Schwartz
- Casting: Avy Kaufman
- Costume Design: Anna Terrazas
- D.O.P.: Enrique Chediak
- Editors: Alex Kopit, Craig McKay, Livio Sanchez, Aaron Yanes
- Makeup: Leo Won
- Music: Bear McCreary
- Production Design: Eugenio Caballero
- Set Decoration: Danielle Webb
A unique blend of documentary, alternative history and science fiction thriller, "Europa Report" follows a contemporary mission to Jupiter's moon Europa to investigate the possible existence of alien life within our solar system. When unmanned probes suggest that a hidden ocean could exist underneath Europa's icy surface and may contain single-celled life, Europa Ventures, a privately funded space exploration company, sends six of the best astronauts from around the world to confirm the data and explore the revolutionary discoveries that may lie in the Europan ocean. After a near-catastrophic technical failure that leads to loss of communication with Earth and the tragic death of a crewmember, the surviving astronauts must overcome the psychological and physical toll of deep space travel, and survive a discovery on Europa more profound than they had ever imagined.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New York City, USA
- MPAA Warning: Sci-fi action and peril
- Production Companies: Wayfare Entertainment, Outpost Studios, Start Motion Pictures
- Production Schedule: 7 November 2011 - December 2011
2013 Guide Analysis: "The most mysterious of next year's science-fiction films is this effort from Ecuadorian filmmaker Sebastián Cordero ("Ratas, Ratones, Rateros," "Crónicas"). The story involves six astronauts who go on a private mission to Jupiter's fourth moon, Europa, in search of extraterrestrial life. Shot in Brooklyn in late 2011, the cast is a mixture of international talent including Sharlto Copley ("District 9"), Michael Nyqvist ("Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol") and Christian Camargo ("Dexter"). "Battlestar Galactica" composer Bear McCreary is also onboard to do the score.
That's all that's really known about the film so far. No specific release date is set, even though viral marketing has begun. A teaser trailer released a few months ago showcased some great imagery - a real classic science-fiction feel akin to films like the underrated "2010: The Year We Make Contact" which also dealt with signs of life on Europa. However, the trailer was also frustratingly short and vague, not letting us in on the tone or the story beyond what we already knew. Still, the secrecy is to its advantage right now as it has gotten people talking."