- Cast: Xavier Samuel, Sam Worthington, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Myles Pollard, Robyn Malcolm , Sean Keenan, Steve Bastoni, Aaron Glenane, David Bowers, Ben Mortley, Laura Fairclough, Mike Duncan, Ross Clarke-Jones, Kai Arbuckle, Timothy Nathan, Harrison Buckland-Crook, Igor Sas, Craig Mathieson , Maurie Ogden, Sarah Louella, John Fairhead, Georgia Hallyburton, Dave Meadows, Joanna Wren, Greg McNeill, Phil Miolin, Laura Fairclough, Murray Dowsett
- Directors: Ben Nott, Morgan O'Neill
- Writers: Tim Duffy, Morgan O'Neill
- Producers: Michele Bennett, Tim Duffy, Myles Pollard
- Associate Producer: David Mandel
- Executive Producers: Peter Lawson, Ben Nott, Paul Speaker
- Art Direction: Emma Fletcher
- Casting: Nikki Barrett
- Costume Design: Marriott Kerr
- D.O.P.: Geoffrey Hall
- Editor: Marcus D'Arcy
- Makeup: Sally Gordon
- Music: Michael Yezerski
- Production Design: Clayton Jauncey
- Set Decoration: Christine Lynch
After their mother escapes from Sydney to Margaret River in the 1970’s, the two Kelly brothers spend their youth searching for the perfect wave. Out of necessity the family launches a backyard surf business - re-thinking board design, crafting homemade wetsuits and selling merchandise out of their van.
Battling big waves, small town conservatism and criminals, the brothers give rise to a global brand. A story of passion, corruption, friendship and loyalty, deadly addictions and fractured relationships, "Drift" tells a tale of courage and the will to survive at all odds.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Margaret River, Australia; Perth, Australia
- MPAA Warning: Language and drug content
- Production Budget: $12 million
- Production Companies: World-Wide-Mind Films
- Production Schedule: 1 August 2011 - November 2011
2013 Guide Analysis: "Sam Worthington returned home in late 2011 for this $11 million surfing drama shot around the Margaret River region in Western Australia. The "Avatar" star plays a bohemian surf photographer and filmmaker who inspires the main characters. Think something akin to a less flashy version of Heath Ledger's "Lords of Dogtown" turn, albeit one with a whole lot more hair.
"Sea Patrol" actor Morgan O'Neill penned the script and co-directs the true story tale which follows Jimmy and Andy Kelly (Xavier Samuel, Myles Pollard), brothers who battled killer waves, conservative society and ruthless bikers to kick start an entire global industry and help create the laid-back surf attitude lifestyle that many live today.
Wrekin Hill and Hopscotch Films will distribute the film sometime early in 2013, a little later than expected as more than a few people were hoping to see it out around now. A recent trailer revealed a solid, if familiar looking comedic drama which mainly has the distinction of some stunning location photography, big surf action set pieces and various 1970s style quirks."