- Cast: Kevin Zegers, Laurence Fishburne, Bill Paxton, Charlotte Sullivan, Dru Viergever, Atticus Dean Mitchell, John Tench, Lisa Berry, Lucius Hoyos, Kimberly-Sue Murray, Michael Mando, Helen Taylor, Romano Orzari, John Healy, Kristin Shepherd, Sten Eirik, Julian Richings, Alex Paxton-Beesley, Eric Murdoch, Mitchell Nye, Earl Pastko
- Director: Jeff Renfroe
- Writers: Jeff Renfroe, Svet Rouskov, Patrick Tarr, Pascal Trottier
- Producers: Paul Barkin, Matthew Cervi, Pierre Even, Marie-Claude Poulin
- Associate Producer: Andrew M. Robinson
- Executive Producers: Peter Graham, Marc Schaberg, Noah Segal, Mark Slone
- Art Direction: Rory Cheyne
- Castings: Sharon Bialy, Sherry Thomas
- Costume Design: Lea Carlson
- D.O.P.: Pierre Gill
- Editor: Aaron Marshall
- Makeup: Shauna Llewellyn
- Music: Jeff Danna
- Production Design: Aidan Leroux
- Set Decoration: Joe Susin
Award-winning director Jeff Renfroe ("One Point O," "Civic Duty") delivers an action-packed, post-apocalyptic thriller in his icy feature "The Colony." Set during the next ice age, an outpost of colonists struggle to survive below the world's frozen surface.
Short on supplies, and plagued by illness and internal conflict, the colonists suspect the worst when they mysteriously lose contact with their only other known settlement, Colony 5. When Colony 7's leader Briggs (Laurence Fishburne) decides to lead an expedition to discover what happened, he is challenged by Mason (Bill Paxton), his former comrade-in-arms, who has his own ideas of what is best for the colonists.
Briggs takes two volunteers on the mission, the young Graydon, and Sam (Kevin Zegers), a strong-willed mechanic who seizes the opportunity to confront the icy wasteland that orphaned him. When they reach their destination, the team discover a threat much worse than nature and must battle to save themselves and protect their fellow colonists in what might be humanity's last stand. A riveting, intense story of survival, humanity, and desperation, "The Colony" is a rich addition to the post-apocalyptic action genre.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Lapland, Finland; Toronto, Canada
- Production Budget: $16 million
- Production Companies: RLJ Entertainment, Sierra Pictures, Alcina Pictures, Item 7, Mad Samurai Productions, 120dB Films
- Production Schedule: 5 March 2012 - 13 April 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Jeff Renfroe has scored a pretty solid cast for this $17 million Canadian sci-fi thriller set on an Earth in the grips of the next Ice Age. The remnants of humanity have been forced underground and the action is set in Colony Seven, which is struggling with dwindling supplies, illness and internal strife. When contact is lost with neighbouring Colony Five, an expedition heads out to learn what happened. They discover a savage threat far worse than imagined.
The project is the first feature to be shot at Canada’s legendary decommissioned NORAD bunker, aka. "The Hole". Much of the production took place 68 storeys below ground level in this unusual military complex which was built to withstand a four-megaton nuclear blast. Those involved say the aim wasn't to make another "day after" style film, instead it's much more a "Lord of the Flies" scenario showcasing how this underground society disintegrates into primitive tribalism and violence. It's currently targeting a late 2013 release, likely a Toronto Film Festival premiere."