- Cast: Kate Winslet, Josh Brolin, Tobey Maguire, James Van Der Beek, Clark Gregg, Brooke Smith, Maika Monroe, Dylan Minnette, Gattlin Griffith, Tom Lipinski, Alexie Gilmore, Brighid Fleming, Lucas Hedges, Matthew Rauch, Stephanie Atkinson, Dakota Shepard, James Chen, Donna Glee Reim, Kallie Tabor, Aingealica Venuto, Greg Nutcher, Elena Kampouris, Richard DeAgazio, Grace Thorsen, Aaron Dorsey, Alyssa Mae Walsh
- Director: Jason Reitman
- Writer: Jason Reitman
- Producers: Helen Estabrook, Lianne Halfon, Jason Reitman, Russell Smith
- Co Producer: Jason Blumenfeld
- Executive Producers: Michael Beugg, Steven M. Rales, Mark Roybal
- Art Direction: Mark Robert Taylor
- Castings: Jessica Kelly, Suzanne Smith
- Costume Design: Danny Glicker
- D.O.P.: Eric Steelberg
- Editor: Dana E. Glauberman
- Makeup: Christien Tinsley
- Music: Rolfe Kent
- Production Design: Steve Saklad
- Set Decoration: Tracey A. Doyle
"Labor Day" centers on 13-year-old Henry Wheeler, who struggles to be the man of his house and care for his reclusive mother Adele while confronting all the pangs of adolescence. On a back-to-school shopping trip, Henry and his mother encounter Frank Chambers, a man both intimidating and clearly in need of help, who convinces them to take him into their home and later is revealed to be an escaped convict. The events of this long Labor Day weekend will shape them for the rest of their lives.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Massachusetts, USA
- MPAA Warning: Thematic material, brief violence and sexuality
- Production Companies: Indian Paintbrush, Mr. Mudd, Right of Way Films
- Production Schedule: 4 June 2012 - 17 August 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Having firmly established a name for himself with the likes of "Thank You For Smoking," "Juno" and "Up in the Air," filmmaker Jason Reitman turns to more dramatic fare this time out with an adaptation of the titular novel by "To Die For" author Joyce Maynard. Shot in Massachusetts over the Summer, the project has already test screened and is in the midst of post-production ahead of a likely release in late August.
Kate Winslet plays depressed single mom Adele who, along with her son Henry (Dylan Minnette), offer a wounded drifter (Josh Brolin) a ride. As police search town for an escaped convict, the mother and son gradually learn his true story as their options become increasingly limited. Over the holiday weekend, he ultimately teaches Henry important life lessons, along with helping Adele come out of her shell.
The premise sounds fairly familiar, something of a spin on Clint Eastwood's "A Perfect World," yet both Maynard and Reitman's sensibilities are refreshingly and unabashedly cynical. This means there has to be more meat and flavor to this story than the simple premise would suggest. Other key roles in the film include Tobey Maguire as an older version of the kid, and James Van Der Beek, Jacki Weaver and Clark Gregg in small, but key parts."