- Cast: Michael B. Jordan, Octavia Spencer, Ahna O'Reilly, Chad Michael Murray, Kevin Durand, Melonie Diaz , Ariana Neal, Joey Oglesby, Noah Staggs, Christina Elmore, Liisa Cohen, Laurel Moglen, Caroline Lesley, Jonez Cain, Darren Bridgett, Deanna Marks, Jasmin James, Thomas Wright, Alex Alessandro Garcia, Trestin George, Herman Tsui, Lola Preza, Destiny Ekwueme, Alejandra Nolasco, Sergio Alejandro, Ryan Butcher, Bianca Rodriguez III, Lucena Herrera, Jemal McNeil, Marjorie Crump-Shears, Keenan Coogler, Steven C Johnson, Kenny Griffin, Marjorie Shears, Robert Ajlouny, Julian Keyes, Nassir Zughayer, Wanda Johnson, Maya Tapia
- Director: Ryan Coogler
- Writer: Ryan Coogler
- Producers: Nina Yang Bongiovi, Forest Whitaker
- Co Producer: Sev Ohanian
- Associate Producers: Gerard McMurray, Haroula Rose
- Executive Producers: Octavia Spencer, Michael Y. Chow , Lisa Kleiner-Chanoff, John Kwok
- Casting: Nina Henninger
- Costume Design: Aggie Guerard Rodgers
- D.O.P.: Rachel Morrison
- Editors: Claudia Castello, Michael P. Shawver
- Makeup: Aurora Bergere
- Music: Ludwig Göransson
- Production Design: Hannah Beachler
- Set Decoration: Kris Boxell
This is the true story of Oscar, a 22-year-old Bay Area resident who wakes up on the morning of December 31, 2008 and feels something in the air. Not sure what it is, he takes it as a sign to get a head start on his resolutions: being a better son to his mother, whose birthday falls on New Year's Eve, being a better partner to his girlfriend, who he hasn't been completely honest with as of late, and being a better father to T, their beautiful 4 year old daughter.
He starts out well, but as the day goes on, he realizes that change is not going to come easy. He crosses paths with friends, family, and strangers, each exchange showing us that there is much more to Oscar than meets the eye. But it would be his final encounter of the day, with police officers at the Fruitvale BART station that would shake the Bay Area to its very core, and cause the entire nation to be witnesses to the story of Oscar Grant.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Oakland, USA; San Francisco, USA
- MPAA Warning: Some violence, language throughout and some drug use
- Production Companies: Forest Whitaker's Significant Productions, OG Project
- Production Schedule: 1 August 2012 - August 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Short film director Ryan Coogler ventures into features with this indie drama that sports an impressive cast and Forest Whitaker as a producer. Octavia Spencer, Michael B. Jordan, Chad Michael Murray, Kevin Durand, Tristan Wilds and Melonie Diaz star in the true story tale of the murder of 22-year old Oscar Grant. Grant was a Bay Area resident who crosses paths with friends, enemies, family and strangers on the last day of 2008. The film was a success story of the Sundance Institute Screenwriters Lab program, and so is understandably scheduled to have its world premiere in Park City next month."