- Cast: Cosmina Stratan, Cristina Flutur, Valeriu Andriuta, Dana Tapalaga, Catalina Harabagiu , Gina Tandura, Vica Agache, Nora Covali, Dionisie Vitcu, Ionut Ghinea, Liliana Mocanu, Doru Ana, Costache Babii, Luminita Gheorghiu, Alina Berzunteanu, Teodor Corban, Calin Chirila, Cristina Cristian, Tania Popa, Petronela Grigorescu, Radu Zetu, Ion Sapdaru, Diana Chirila Ignat, Liana Petrescu, Alexandra Agavriloaiei, Alexandra Apetrei, Noemi Gunea, Katia Pascariu, Mara Carutasu , Ada Barleanu, Mariana Liurca
- Director: Cristian Mungiu
- Writers: Cristian Mungiu, Tatiana Niculescu Bran
- Producer: Cristian Mungiu
- Co Producers: Pascal Caucheteux, Jean-Pierre Dardenne , Luc Dardenne, Vincent Maraval, Bobby Paunescu, Grégoire Sorlat
- Casting: Catalin Dordea
- Costume Design: Dana Paparuz
- D.O.P.: Oleg Mutu
- Editor: Mircea Olteanu
- Makeup: Clara Tudose
- Production Designs: Calin Papura, Mihaela Poenaru
In an isolated Orthodox convent in Romania, Alina has just been reunited with Voichita after spending several years in Germany. The two young women have supported and loved each other since meeting as children in an orphanage.
Alina wants Voichita to leave and return with her to Germany, but Voichita has found refuge in faith and a family in the nuns and their priest, and refuses. Alina cannot understand her friend’s choice. In her attempt to win back Voichita’s affection, she challenges the priest. She is taken to hospital and the people of the monastery start to suspect that she is possessed.
When the doctors send her back, Alina is included in the monastic routine in the hope that she will find peace. But her condition worsens and they finally have to tie her to a wooden plank to prevent her from hurting herself. After ruling out all other options, the priest and nuns decide to read her prayers to deliver those possessed by the Evil One. They perform an exorcism, but the result is not what they had hoped, and Voichita begins to doubt the religious choice she has made. She decides to free Alina - but her decision comes too late.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Romania
- Production Companies: Canal+, Centre National de la Cinématographie, Ciné+, Fonds Eurimages du Conseil de l'Europe, France 3 Cinéma, France Télévisions, Les Films du Fleuve, Mandragora Movies, Mobra Films, Romanian National Center for Cinematography, Why Not Productions,
- Production Schedule: December 2011 - May 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "The story of a lesbian love affair between a German barmaid and a Moldavian nun is surprisingly not Vivid Video's latest fetish title. Rather, it's the return of Romanian filmmaker Cristian Mungiu - the man behind the highly acclaimed and confronting 2007 abortion drama "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days."
This carefully-paced drama follows two orphan girls in love, a romance torn apart when one skips off to Germany to become a waitress. Unable to take the estrangement from her lover any longer, she heads back to the eastern Romanian province where she finds said girlfriend has become a nun and refuses to leave the monastery. The now ex-waitress decides to stick it out with her, an environment where tragedy is bound to happen.
Having played the film festival circuit throughout much of 2012, 'Hills' scored a Palme d'Or nomination and won both actress and screenplay honors at Cannes. Reviews are strong, but far from unanimous, with practically all of them pointing out that this is simply not on the same level as '4 Months'. With a 2.5 hour runtime and some ponderous long takes, it's also something of a tough slog. Nevertheless the screenplay is said to be smart and considered, the direction well-staged and the performances of a strong caliber. Expected a limited theatrical run in the early half of the year."