- Cast: Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Kevin Zegers, Lena Headey, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Aidan Turner, Kevin Durand, Robert Sheehan, Jared Harris, CCH Pounder, Robert Maillet , Jemima West, Godfrey Gao, Stephen R. Hart, Chad Connell, Harry Van Gorkum, Elyas M'Barek, Hope Fleury, Jonathan Seinen, Chris Ratz, Alex Branton, Lucy DeLaat, Melantha Blackthorne
- Director: Harald Zwart
- Writers: Jessica Postigo, Cassandra Clare
- Producers: Don Carmody, Robert Kulzer
- Executive Producers: Michael Lynne, Martin Moszkowicz , Dylan Sellers, Robert Shaye, Veslemøy Ruud Zwart
- Art Direction: Anthony A. Ianni
- Casting: Stephanie Corsalini
- Costume Design: Gersha Phillips
- D.O.P.: Geir Hartly Andreassen
- Editor: Joel Negron
- Makeup: Paul Jones
- Music: Atli Örvarsson
- Production Design: François Séguin
- Set Decoration: Patricia Larman
Set in contemporary New York City, a seemingly ordinary teenager, Clary Fray, discovers she is the descendant of a line of Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of young half-angel warriors locked in an ancient battle to protect our world from demons. After the disappearance of her mother, Clary must join forces with a group of Shadowhunters, who introduce her to a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld, filled with demons, warlocks, vampires, werewolves and other deadly creatures.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New York City, USA; Toronto, Canada
- MPAA Warning: Intense sequences of fantasy violence and action, and some suggestive content
- Production Budget: $60 million
- Production Companies: Constantin Film Produktion, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Unique Features
- Production Schedule: 15 August 2012 - November 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "An adaptation of the first novel in Cassandra Clare's popular "The Mortal Instruments" young-adult novel series, 'City' is Constantin Film and Sony's attempt to launch their own "Twilight" and "Hunger Games"-esque franchise. The brooding emo young men here aren't vampires, rather they are half-human/half-angel warriors who seem to have a thing for rune tattoos and hanging around in nightclubs.
Playing like a younger-skewing "Constantine" judging by the trailer, Lily Collins stars as a teen girl whose mother (Headey) is kidnapped by a man (Rhys-Meyers) in search of a powerful artifact. She discovers the truth of her existence - she is destined to become a Shadowhunter - and seeks the help of others of her kind to help rescue her mother.
"The Karate Kid" and "Agent Cody Banks" director Harald Zwart helms the film that is being dumped at the tail end of Summer, not exactly a sign of confidence on the studio's part. The books themselves were praised for their blending of modern humor with traditional fantasy, whether the film can carry on that tradition remains to be seen."