- Cast: Alexandra Daddario, Logan Lerman, Sean Bean, Nathan Fillion, Missi Pyle, Stanley Tucci, Leven Rambin, Derek Mears, Jake Abel, Robert Maillet, Daniel Cudmore, Brandon T. Jackson, Grey Damon, Anthony Head, Douglas Smith, Yvette Nicole Brown, Mary Birdsong, Alisha Newton, Paloma Kwiatkowski, Aleks Paunovic, Zoe Aggeliki, Katelyn Mager, Christopher Redman, Danny Le Boyer, Jordan Weller, Maxine Miller, Samuel Braun, Anthony Shim, Richard Yearwood, Bjorn Yearwood, Camille Atebe, Connor Dunn, David Mylrea
- Director: Thor Freudenthal
- Writer: Marc Guggenheim
- Producers: Michael Barnathan, Chris Columbus, Karen Rosenfelt
- Co Producer: Bill Bannerman
- Executive Producer: Mark Morgan
- Art Direction: Helen Jarvis
- Castings: Jane Jenkins, Alyssa Weisberg
- Costume Design: Monique Prudhomme
- D.O.P.: Shelly Johnson
- Editor: Mark Goldblatt
- Makeup: Lisa Love
- Music: Andrew Lockington
- Production Design: Claude Paré
- Set Decoration: Shane Vieau
Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been suprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death math against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get... well, ugly.
And the unexpected arrival of his friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.
In this fresh, funny, and wildly popular follow-up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family--one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New Orleans, USA; Vancouver, Canada
- MPAA Warning: Fantasy action violence, some scary images and mild language
- Production Companies: Fox 2000 Pictures, Prana Animation Studios, TCF Vancouver Productions, Trireme Productions
- Production Schedule: 16 April 2012 - 12 July 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Though initially dismissed as a cut-rate "Harry Potter" and scoring a mixed response upon release, the first "Percy Jackson" film has become mildly endearing over the years. Clunky direction aside, the idea was cute and the cast was a fun mix. Shot on a costly $95 million, the film raked in $225 million at the box-office and became a hit on disc, which is why this sequel went into production.
In this chapter, Percy Jackson's seventh-grade experience has been very quiet. That is until the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood are poisoned by a mysterious enemy. With the only safe haven for demigods in danger, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to bring back the Golden Fleece and save the camp. Along the way he will discover a shocking new secret about his heritage.
Freudenthal seems an odd choice for director, mostly known for lower-budgeted family fare like "Hotel for Dogs" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," so it is likely a cost-saving measure to keep the film's budget reigned in. While the first film often strayed from the book, this one is said to be a much closer adaptation.
Some casting additions are very welcome, such as Nathan Fillion as Hermes, Stanley Tucci as Dionysus, and Mark Hamill as Tantalus, but it looks like many of the main Gods won't be back. Lerman meanwhile has grown as an actor, as any viewer of the superb "Perks of Being a Wallflower" can attest, so I hope that Percy himself is a more assertive and interesting role this time out."