- Cast: Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg, Paula Patton, Bill Paxton, Edward James Olmos, James Marsden, Evie Thompson, Robert John Burke, Doris Morgado, Fred Ward, Patrick Fischler, Jesus Jr., Tait Fletcher, Bonnie Bentley, Kyle Russell Clements, Christopher Dempsey, John L. Armijo, Jason Stanly, Ritchie Montgomery, Lucky Johnson, Yohance Myles, Azure Parsons, Joshua Braud, Nicholas Simmons, Tim Bell, Greg Sproles, Lindsey Gort, Ross P. Cook, Crystal Miller, Lucy Faust, Guy Fernandez
- Director: Baltasar Kormakur
- Writer: Blake Masters
- Producers: Andrew Cosby, Randall Emmett, George Furla, Norton Herrick, Marc Platt, Ross Richie, Adam Siegel
- Co Producers: Bob Dohrmannm, Brandon Grimes
- Executive Producers: Brandt Andersen, Remington Chase, Mark Damon , Jacky Jhaj , John Brooks Klingenbeck, Stepan Martirosyan , Motaz M. Nabulsi , Jeff Rice, Steven Saxton, Joshua Skurla , Jeffrey Stott, Tamara Stuparich de la Barra
- Art Direction: Kevin Hardison
- Casting: Sheila Jaffe
- Costume Design: Laura Jean Shannon
- D.O.P.: Oliver Wood
- Editor: Michael Tronick
- Makeup: Tina Roesler Kerwin
- Music: Clinton Shorter
- Production Design: Beth Mickle
- Set Decoration: Leonard R. Spears
An explosive action film that tracks two operatives from competing bureaus who are forced on the run together. But there is a big problem with their unique alliance: Neither knows that the other is an undercover federal agent.
For the past 12 months, DEA agent Bobby Trench (Washington) and U.S. naval intelligence officer Marcus Stigman (Wahlberg) have been reluctantly attached at the hip. Working undercover as members of a narcotics syndicate, each man distrusts his partner as much as the criminals they have both been tasked to take down.
When their attempt to infiltrate a Mexican drug cartel and recover millions goes haywire, Trench and Stigman are suddenly disavowed by their superiors. Now that everyone wants them in jail or in the ground, the only person they can count on is the other. Unfortunately for their pursuers, when good guys spend years pretending to be bad, they pick up a few tricks along the way.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Albuquerque, USA; New Orleans, USA
- MPAA Warning: Violence throughout, language and brief nudity
- Production Budget: $74 million
- Production Companies: Boom Entertainment, Emmett/Furla Films, Envision Entertainment Corporation, Foresight Unlimited, Herrick Entertainment, Hollywood Studios International, Marc Platt Productions, Red Hill Entertainment
- Production Schedule: 11 June 2012 - 14 August 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Coming off acclaim for his survival drama "The Deep," Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur is re-teaming with his "Contraband" star Mark Wahlberg on this adaptation of Steven Grant's graphic novel series. "Brotherhood" creator Blake Masters penned the script for what Kormákur calls a pulpy comic adaptation with a sensibility akin to 1980s buddy action comedies like "48 Hrs" and "Lethal Weapon".
The plot sounds like a spin on "Infernal Affairs"/"The Departed" with Wahlberg as a DEA agent and Denzel Washington as a Naval Intelligence officer. Having spent months reluctantly working together as members of a narcotics syndicate, each is unaware that the other one is an undercover federal agent. A failed attempt to nab millions from the cartels sees the duo suddenly disavowed by their superiors and on the run.
James Marsden, Paula Patton, Bill Paxton, Fred Ward and Edward James Olmos also star in the film which Kormákur is currently editing and is said to clock in at just over two hours. According to his contract, the filmmaker has to deliver an R-rated movie to the studio. However, it could reportedly end up being less than that because coarse language seems to be the only issue at present - and he's not averse to cutting it.
The tone is said to be surprisingly comic, and yet not a satire. In an interview during promotion for "Flight," Washington says he's not sure how it's going to turn out. He adds: "It's either going to be a little funny or a real tragedy … I don't know what it is, all I know is we were acting stupid." Shot in Louisiana and New Mexico last summer, it is scheduled to close out next summer with hopefully a few laughs."