- Cast: Colin Farrell, Noomi Rapace, Dominic Cooper, Terrence Howard, Isabelle Huppert, Armand Assante , Raymond Mamrak, Franky G, Luis Da Silva Jr., James Biberi, Jennifer Mudge, Raw Leiba, Jennifer Butler, Kelly Southerland, Dario Barosso, Stu Bennett, John Cenatiempo, Michael McKiddy, Robert Vataj, Kresh Novakovic, Krystal Tini, Saul Stein, Andrew Stewart-Jones, Ante Novakovic, Stephen Hill, Hisham Tawfiq, Jeremy Sample
- Director: Niels Arden Oplev
- Writer: J.H. Wyman
- Producers: Neal H. Moritz, J.H. Wyman
- Executive Producers: Stuart Ford, Brian Kavanaugh-Jones, Michael Luisi, Ori Marmur, Deepak Nayar, Reid Shane, Steven Squillante, Joseph Zolfo
- Art Direction: Jesse Rosenthal
- Casting: Amanda Mackey Johnson
- Costume Design: Renee Ehrlich Kalfus
- D.O.P.: Paul Cameron
- Editors: Timothy A. Good, Frédéric Thoraval
- Makeup: Todd Kleitsch
- Music: Jacob Groth
- Production Design: Niels Sejer
- Set Decoration: Chryss Hionis
Following the cinematic phenomenon “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” acclaimed filmmaker Niels Arden Oplev and brooding beauty Noomi Rapace reunite for another thrilling tale of vengeance. Colin Farrell joins the prestigious team as brave enforcer Victor, right hand man to an underground crime lord in New York City. He seeks to avenge the death of his wife and daughter caused by his boss. When his employer is threatened by a mysterious killer, Victor also becomes detective. Victor is seduced and blackmailed by Beatrice (Noomi Rapace), a victim turned avenger whose intense chemistry leads them spiraling into payback delivered in violent catharsis. From producer Neal Moritz (The Fast and the Furious franchise, I Am Legend) and Joel Wyman (Fringe, Keen Eddie) comes a triumphant action thriller, a powerful portrait of the relationship between two people caught in the crosshairs of revenge.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Philadelphia, USA
- MPAA Warning: Violence, language throughout and a scene of sexuality
- Production Budget: $30 million
- Production Companies: Frequency Films, IM Global, Original Film, WWE Studios
2013 Guide Analysis: "Danish director Niels Arden Oplev made a name for himself back in 2009 with his Swedish-language adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Shot for television on a budget of just $13 million, the footage was good enough that it was re-cut into a feature which went on to become an acclaimed international hit. Though David Fincher's costly $90 million English-language version was more technically proficient, the fact that Oplev's film is not only comparable, but even preferred in some circles, is a testament to his skill.
Here, in his first film since 'Tattoo', his leading lady Noomi Rapace returns to play a woman seeking retribution after she was left disfigured. Colin Farrell plays a professional killer and right-hand man to an underground crime lord (Terrence Howard) - the same crime lord responsible for Rapace's injury. She seduces and blackmails the killer into taking out his boss, and their intense relationship leads to a violent plan for revenge.
The story sounds fairly generic, but it boasts a script by long-time "Fringe" executive producer J.H. Wyman. The first trailer arrived a week ago and was quickly pulled in deference to the victims of the recent Newtown school massacre. Copies can still be found online if you look around though, and frankly it looks great. Oplev's skill at making a film seem much bigger than its modest budget, is in full effect. This has resulted in some impressive camerawork and shot compositions along with short bursts of large scale action.
Farrell, sporting a buzz cut and dark beard, continues his second career renaissance and makes a more compatible match for Rapace than any of her other Hollywood leading men so far. There is also got a great supporting cast including Dominic Cooper, Armand Assante, Franky G, the aforementioned Terrence Howard playing an utter badass, and even beloved French actress Isabelle Huppert. This could well be an early year surprise."