- Cast: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Peter Mensah, Laz Alonso, Wes Studi, Stephen Lang, Matt Gerald, Dileep Rao, James Pitt, Amy Clover, Sean Patrick Murphy, Julene Renee, Scott Lawrence, Jacob Tomuri, Peter Dillon, Sean Anthony Moran, Kevin Dorman, Dean Knowsley, Sean Moran
- Director: James Cameron
- Writer: James Cameron
- Producers: James Cameron, Jon Landau
- Co Producers: Josh McLaglen, Brooke Breton
- Associate Producer: Janace Tashjian
- Executive Producer: Colin Wilson
- Art Direction: Kevin Ishioka
- Casting: Margery Simkin
- Costume Design: Mayes C. Rubeo
- D.O.P.: Mauro Fiore
- Editors: John Refoua, Stephen Rivkin
- Makeups: Mike Smithson, Tegan Taylor
- Music: James Horner
- Production Designs: Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg
In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture.He is soon thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit the exotic planet rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Hawaii; Los Angeles, USA; Wellington, New Zealand
- MPAA Warning: Intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking
- Production Budget: $300 million
- Production Companies: Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation, Giant Studios, Lightstorm Entertainment
- Production Schedule: 16 April 2007 - 1 December 2007
Announced on June 14, 2005 in the Hollywood Reporter, James Cameron's untitled "Project 880" is a parallel project being developed alongside Battle Angel (2011). It will use the same digital-3D camera system (developed by Vince Pace) and virtual production studio (developed by Robert Legato) that Cameron will use on Battle Angel.
A casting call was posted on the website of Mali Finn Casting in early December 2005 for the female lead. The casting call was erroneously reported to be for James Cameron's Battle Angel (2011). However, Battle Angel will be the second of the back-to-back Cameron projects with a likely 2013 release.
Michael Biehn was considered for the role of Col. Quaritch. He met with James Cameron three times and saw some of the 3D footage, but in the end it simply came down to the fact that Cameron didn't want people thinking it was Aliens (1986) all over again, as Sigourney Weaver had already been cast.
Sigourney Weaver plays a James Cameron persona for her character in this film. Sigourney stated in an interview, "I teased him because to me I'm playing Jim Cameron in the movie as this kind of brilliant, approach-driven, idealistic perfectionist. But that same somebody has a great heart underneath. So I have to say I was always kind of channeling him."
James Cameron originally attempted to get this film made in 1999 as his immediate follow-up to Titanic (1997). However, at the time, the special effects he wanted for the movie ran the proposed budget up to $400 million. No studio would fund the film, and it was subsequently shelved for almost ten years.
James Cameron's first feature film since Titanic (1997).
The movie is 40% live action and 60% photo-realistic CGI. A lot of motion capture technology was used for the CGI scenes.
Seeing the character of Gollum in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) convinced James Cameron that CGI effects had progressed enough to make this film.
Promotional items were shipped to cinemas under the name "Project 880".