- Cast: Kristen Wiig, Ben Stiller, Kathryn Hahn, Sean Penn, Adam Scott, Shirley MacLaine, Patton Oswalt, Joey Slotnick, Adrian Martinez, Toshiko Onizawa, Finise Avery, Liz Mikel, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, Jonathan C. Daly, Barbara Vincent, Paul Fitzgerald, Alan D. Purwin, Kelly Southerland, Shawn Gonzalez, George Aloi, Chloe Elaine Scharf, Peter Riga, Terence Bernie Hines, Brian Scott McFadden, Dennis Rees, Philip Odango, Stephen Sapienza, Zivile Kaminskaite, Lucinda Lewis, Alex Kruz, Alex Anfanger, Efraiem Hanna, Jenny Rostain, Gurdeep Singh, Gary Wilmes, Anna Kuchma, Nicole Neuman, Katelynn Bailey, Jennifer Leigh Mann, Tommy Bayiokos, Marcus Antturi, Sam Varthos, Craig Dourmashkin
- Director: Ben Stiller
- Writers: Steve Conrad, James Thurber
- Producers: Stuart Cornfeld, Samuel Goldwyn Jr., John Goldwyn, Ben Stiller
- Co Producer: Kurt Williams
- Associate Producers: Matt Levin, Sean Murray, Ethan Shapanka
- Executive Producers: Richard Vane, Gore Verbinski, G. Mac Brown
- Art Direction: David Swayze
- Casting: Rachel Tenner
- Costume Design: Sarah Edwards
- D.O.P.: Stuart Dryburgh
- Editor: Greg Hayden
- Makeup: Mandy Lyons
- Music: Theodore Shapiro
- Production Design: Jeff Mann
- Set Decoration: Regina Graves
Ben Stiller directs and stars in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," James Thurber's classic story of a day-dreamer who escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker (Kristen Wiig) are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Greenland; Iceland; New York City, USA
- MPAA Warning: Some crude comments, language and action violence
- Production Budget: $90 million
- Production Companies: Red Hour Films, Samuel Goldwyn Films, Truenorth Productions, Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
- Production Schedule: May 2012 - August 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "While the films he has only starred in have had their ups and downs, when it comes to projects he both stars in and directs - Ben Stiller is pretty much four-for-four at this point ("Reality Bites," "The Cable Guy," "Zoolander" and "Tropic Thunder"). Stiller's fifth time in the helmer's chair is this remake which has been kicking around Hollywood for many years.
Filmmakers like Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, Mark Waters and Gore Verbinski, along with actors like Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Owen Wilson, Zach Braff, Eddie Murphy, Sacha Baron Cohen, Whoopi Goldberg and Scarlett Johansson, have all been linked to it at one time or another. Several studios have had it setup, only to see their version swiftly crumble. Numerous scripts were penned over the years and none really got anyone excited until the current script came along by "The Pursuit of Happyness" scribe Steve Conrad.
The film is based on the 1947 Danny Kaye film which itself was based on a 1939 James Thurber short story. This take follows a quintessential daydreamer, in this case Stiller as a timid magazine photo manager, whose vivid imagination allows him to escape from the mundane constraints of his ordinary life. Things change though when his latest assignment sets him out on a true-life adventure to find an important film negative that has gone missing. One change to this version is the inclusion of a back story for Walter to explain his daydreams - namely his father’s death at age seventeen which forced him to give up his desire to travel.
Another is that these wild pop-culture fuelled flights of fancy are an obstacle that gets in the way of Walter and his love interest (played by Kristen Wiig) coming together. Though some of it was shot in Manhattan, a whole bunch of the movie's film shoot took place in Iceland which should give us some spectacular visuals. Despite Stiller's presence as director, don't expect this to have the dark R-rated laughs of his previous work. 20th Century Fox has set this up as their big tentpole release for Christmas 2013 across the globe."