- Cast: Alice Englert, Alden Ehrenreich, Jeremy Irons, Viola Davis, Emmy Rossum, Thomas Mann, Emma Thompson , Eileen Atkins, Margo Martindale, Zoey Deutch, Tiffany Boone , Rachel Brosnahan , Kyle Gallner, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Robin Skye, Randy Redd, Lance E. Nichols, Leslie Castay, Sam Gilroy , Cindy Hogan, Gwendolyn Mulamba, Cole Burden, Billy Wheelan, Christopher Darby
- Director: Richard LaGravenese
- Writers: Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
- Producers: Broderick Johnson, Andrew A. Kosove, Molly Smith , Erwin Stoff
- Associate Producer: Brad Arensman
- Executive Producer: Yolanda T. Cochran
- Art Direction: Lorin Flemming
- Casting: Margery Simkin
- Costume Design: Jeffrey Kurland
- D.O.P.: Philippe Rousselot
- Editor: David Moritz
- Makeup: Fionagh Cush
- Music: Thenewno2
- Production Design: Richard Sherman
- Set Decoration: Matthew Flood Ferguson
When newcomer Lena Duchannes arrives in the small town of Gatlin she quickly captures the attention of Ethan Wate, who only wants to escape what he views as a boring and dead end town. He quickly gets more than he bargained for, as Lena possesses strange powers that have long kept her at a distance from others in her life. Lena and Ethan are drawn together, but their budding romance is threatened by the dangers posed by Lena's being a Caster and her family's Dark powers, for upon her sixteenth birthday Lena must undergo the Claiming, a process that will decide her fate forever: Light or Dark.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New Orleans, USA
- MPAA Warning: Violence, scary images and some sexual material
- Production Budget: $65 million
- Production Companies: Alcon Entertainment, Warner Bros. Entertainment
- Production Schedule: April 2012 - 26 July 2012
2013 Guide Analysis: "Attempting to fill the void left by the departing "Twilight" film series is this adaptation of the first book in Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's Caster Chronicles series. In this scenario the boy is the human, the girl the one with a family of people with special powers. Instead of chaste and kind vampires, this features vindictive witches. The themes aren't so much about romance as they are determining one's fate.
Shot in Louisiana early last summer, the film employs a Deep South setting which has drawn comparisons to the much more interesting and off the hook "True Blood." Yet, oddly, two of the most English of classic actors - Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson - have been hired to adopt fairly thick drawls in what are the mentor and antagonist roles respectively.
Trailers showcase Thompson chewing scenery like nobody's business, whereas Irons reigns it in to provide some gravitas. There's also a fun a bad girl routine by Emmy Rossum as the sister who "went dark." Chuck in some dodgy CGI and plenty of young lovers making out and you get a gooey Valentine's Day treat designed directly for young women who like their Gothic horror on the lighter side."