- Cast: Kate Hudson, Kiefer Sutherland, Liev Schreiber, Nelsan Ellis, Martin Donovan, Riz Ahmed, Adil Hussain, Om Puri, Christopher Nicholas Smith, Shabana Azmi, Haluk Bilginer, Victor Slezak, Mark Oliver, Ashlyn Henson, Clayton Landey, Chandrachur Singh, Naeem Uzimann, Meesha Shafi, Roy McCrerey, Sarah Quinn, Vince Canlas, Omer Mughal, Deepti Datt, William Millhorn, Cody W. Parker
- Director: Mira Nair
- Writers: Ami Boghani, Mohsin Hamid, William Wheeler
- Producer: Lydia Dean Pilcher
- Co Producers: Ami Boghani, Anadil Hossain, Robin Sweet
- Associate Producers: Courtney Lee, Christine McKeever
- Executive Producer: Hani Farsi
- Art Direction: Esra Yetilmezer
- Casting: Cindy Tolan
- Costume Design: Arjun Bhasin
- D.O.P.: Declan Quinn
- Editor: Shimit Amin
- Makeup: Kris Evans
- Music: Michael Andrews
- Production Design: Michael Carlin
- Set Decorations: Rena DeAngelo, Seema Kashyap, Mithva Krishen, Jeanette Scott
Based on the best-selling novel of the same title, that was translated into 25 languages, "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" is a riveting international political thriller that follows the story of a young Pakistani man chasing corporate success on Wall Street, who ultimately finds himself embroiled in a conflict between his American dream, a hostage crisis and the enduring call of his family's homeland.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Atlanta, USA; Delhi, India; Istanbul, Turkey; Lahore, Pakistan; New York City, USA
- Production Budget: $15 million
- Production Companies: Cine Mosaic, The Doha Film Institute, Mirabai Films
- Production Schedule: 19 September 2011 - December 2011
2013 Guide Analysis: "Acquired by IFC after a mixed response at both the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals this year, 'Fundamentalist' marks the second effort from the Doha Film Institute following 2011's "Black Gold" which scored a similar response.
An adaptation of Mohsin Hamid’s Booker Prize-nominated best-selling 2007 novel, this tells the story of a young Pakistani man named Changez who is chasing corporate success on Wall Street in the late 90's. After the events of 9/11 however, he experiences a major change in his own attitude and eventually abandons his American life.
British actor Riz Ahmed ("Four Lions," "Centurion," "Black Gold"), who voiced an abridged version of the novel for BBC Radio 4 in August, stars as Changez alongside an impressive American cast including Kate Hudson, Liev Schreiber and Kiefer Sutherland.
Filmmaker Mira Nair ("Monsoon Wedding"), only the third Indian filmmaker thus far allowed to shoot in Pakistan, said she was inspired to make a contemporary film about Pakistan. She also expected the film to divide opinion, saying she made it to encourage the conversation about Pakistan and America's relationship with Islam.
Reviews praised British actor Riz Ahmed, the ambition of the story, and Nair's ability to handle both family drama and smart spy movie thrills. However she was criticised for a heavy-handed approach, uneven performances (especially Hudson) and William Wheeler’s script failing to explore either fresh angles or some interesting elements it sets up.
Still, even the most critical reviews called it a smart work and one worthy of consideration, while audiences will likely prove less stingy in regards to any apparent lack of ambiguity. Shot in Atlanta, New York, Lahore, Delhi and Istanbul, there's an international appeal on offer here that could translate to solid sales."