- Cast: Kristen Stewart, Sam Riley, Garrett Hedlund, Tom Sturridge, Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst, Viggo Mortensen, Steve Buscemi, Elisabeth Moss, Terrence Howard, Alice Braga, Kaniehtiio Horn, Giselle Itié, Michael Sarrazin, Sarah Allen, Madison Wolfe, Joe Chrest, Giovanna Zacarías, Kim Bubbs, Danny Morgan, Larry Day, Ricardo Andres, Coati Mundi, Jake La Botz, Arthur Holden, Rocky Marquette, Greg Kramer, Joey Klein, Emily D. Haley, Alison Louder, Sona Tatoyan, Clara Furey, Marie-Ginette Guay, Veronica Loud, Patrick John Costello, Janeé Crump, Murphy Soberly
- Director: Walter Salles
- Writers: Jose Rivera, Jack Kerouac
- Producers: Charles Gillibert, Nathanaël Karmitz, Rebecca Yeldham
- Associate Producers: Walter Salles, Peter Cavaney
- Executive Producers: Patrick Batteux, Francis Ford Coppola, Jerry Leider, Michael Zakin
- Art Direction: Martin Gendron
- Castings: Richard Hicks, Andrea Kenyon, David Rubin, Randi Wells
- Costume Design: Danny Glicker
- D.O.P.: Eric Gautier
- Editor: François Gédigier
- Makeup: Marisa Amenta
- Music: Gustavo Santaolalla
- Production Design: Carlos Conti
- Set Decorations: Francine Danis, Gabriela Matus, Maria Nay
"On the Road" tells the provocative story of Sal Paradise (Sam Riley), a young writer whose life is shaken and ultimately redefined by the arrival of Dean Moriarty (Garrett Hedlund), a free-spirited, fearless, fast talking Westerner, and his girl, Marylou (Kristen Stewart).
Together, Sal and Dean travel cross-country in a quest for freedom from the conformity and conservatism engulfing them, in search of the unknown, themselves, and the pursuit of “it” -- the pure essence of experience.
Seeking unchartered terrain and the last American frontier, the duo encounter an eclectic mix of men and women -- Bull (Viggo Mortensen), Camille (Kirsten Dunst), Carlo (Tom Sturridge), Jane (Amy Adams), Terry (Alice Braga), and Galatéa (Elisabeth Moss) – each adding meaning to their desire for a new way of life.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Arizona, USA; Louisiana, USA; Mexico; Montreal, Canada; New Orleans, USA; Río Negro, Argentina; San Francisco, USA
- MPAA Warning: Strong sexual content, drug use and language
- Production Budget: $25 million
- Production Companies: MK2 Productions, American Zoetrope, Jerry Leider Company, Vanguard Films, France 2 Cinema, Canal+, Ciné+
- Production Schedule: 2 August 2010 - November 2010
2012 Film Guide: "The term 'long gestating' film takes on a whole new meaning with this adaptation of the definitive novel of the Beat Generation. For over five decades now there's been talk of a film adaptation of Jack Kerouac's autobiographical book about his time spent traveling America in the 1940's with his friend Neal Cassady. Kerouac wanted to play his literary counterpart Sal Paradise himself alongside Marlon Brando as the Cassady-inspired Dean Moriarty back in the late 50's when the book first came out.
It wasn't until six years ago that Francis Ford Coppola, who attempted to adapt it himself and failed, convinced Brazilian director Walter Salles to direct and this $25 million production got underway at last. In preparation, Salles shot a documentary taking the same road trip as Sal Paradise and speaking to other Beat poets who knew Kerouac.
Using much of the same crew who shot "The Motorcycle Diaries", filming got underway in August in Montreal with the cast undergoing a month-long "beatnik boot camp" where they all learned about the Beat Generation. Shooting also took place in New Orleans, San Francisco, Calgary, Arizona, Mexico and Argentina with minimal crew members on hand to lend an almost documentary feel to the proceedings.
Reviews of the script have been raves and Salles will certainly bring his A-game to the material. The only question now is will this stand up to the scrutiny that comes when any film is adapted from a beloved novel that's considered one of the defining works of a generation."