- Cast: James Purefoy, Jason Flemyng, Max von Sydow, Rachel Hurd-Wood, Pete Postlethwaite, Alice Krige, Mackenzie Crook, Philip Winchester, Patrick Hurd-Wood, Anthony Wilks, Rory McCann, Lucas Stone, Samuel Roukin, Isabel Bassett, Matt Stirling, Christian Dunckley Clark, Robert Russell, Stewart Moore, Madaleine Bassett , Tomas Tobola, Ben Steel, David Listvan, Jiri Kraus, Matthew Blood Smyth, Jeff Smith, Mark O'Neal, Robert Orr, Richard Ryan, Ian Whyte, Frantisek Deak, Thomas McEnchroe, Andrew Whitlaw
- Director: Michael J. Bassett
- Writers: Michael J. Bassett, Robert E. Howard
- Producers: Paul Berrow, Samuel Hadida
- Co Producer: Kevan Van Thompson
- Associate Producer: Marcelo Anciano
- Executive Producers: Michael Berrow, Victor Hadida
- Art Direction: David Baxa
- Castings: Nancy Bishop, John Hubbard, Ros Hubbard
- Costume Design: John Bloomfield
- D.O.P.: Dan Laustsen
- Editor: Andrew MacRitchie
- Makeup: Paul Jones
- Music: Klaus Badelt
- Production Design: Ricky Eyres
- Set Decoration: Lee Gordon
Captain Solomon Kane is a brutally efficient 16th Century killing machine. Armed with his signature pistols, cutlass and rapier, he and his men unleash their bloodlust as they fight for England in war after war on all continents.
As the story opens, Kane and his band of pillagers are carving a bloody path through hordes of defenders in an exotic city in northern Africa. But, when Kane decides to attack a mysterious nearby castle to plunder its rumored riches, his mission takes a fateful turn.
One by one, Kane's men are picked off by demonic creatures until he alone is left to face the Devil's own Reaper -- dispatched from the depths of Hell to lay claim to his hopelessly corrupt soul. Though Kane at last manages to escape, he knows that he now must redeem himself by renouncing violence and devoting himself wholly to a life of peace and purity.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: London, UK; Prague, Czech Republic
- MPAA Warning: Violence throughout
- Production Budget: $45 million
- Production Companies: Davis-Films, Czech Anglo Productions, Wandering Star Pictures
- Production Schedule: 14 January 2008 - 8 April 2008
2010 Guide Analysis: "The potential start of a fantasy franchise, this is said to be the first of a possible trilogy, "Conan" creator Robert E. Howard's 16th century Puritanical hero gets his time in the sun in this lavish but still economical $40 million supernatural actioneer. Though the costume of the lead looks like cast-offs from "Van Helsing", reviews out of a screening at Toronto a few months back were more positive - calling it a simplistic, old-fashioned almost 80's-esque rousing action spectacle.
Shot in early 2008, director Michael J. Bassett ("Wilderness," "Deathwatch") pushed his cast and crew hard during cold, wet and muddy conditions on the shoot in the Czech Republic. The effort showed though, reviews praising the practical elements, hand-to-hand fighting scenes and straightforward efficiency. 45-year-old British hunk and one-time James Bond candidate James Purefoy (TV's "Rome," "Resident Evil") scored decent notices as the titular square-jawed one-note hero, though the various CG monsters he faces do seem to suffer from the lack of major studio budget."