- Cast: Tom Hanks, Hugo Weaving, Halle Berry, Jim Sturgess, Hugh Grant, Susan Sarandon, Ben Whishaw, Keith David, Jim Broadbent, James D'Arcy, Xun Zhou, Doona Bae, Zhu Zhu, Götz Otto, David Gyasi, Alistair Petrie, Louis Dempsey, Raevan Lee Hanan, Valerie Lillibeth, Brody Nicholas Lee, Mya-Lecia Naylo, Daniele Rizzo, Robin Morrissey, Laura Vietzen, Lyly Schoettle, Charly Yoon, Korbyn Hawk Hanan, Martin Docherty, Adam Siviter, Liz Strange
- Directors: Tom Tykwer, Andy & Lana Wachowski
- Writers: Tom Tykwer, Andy & Lana Wachowski, David Mitchell
- Producers: Stefan Arndt, Alex Boden, Grant Hill, Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski
- Co Producers: Roberto Malerba, Alexander van Duelmen
- Executive Producers: Philip Lee, Uwe Schott
- Art Directions: Stephan O. Gessler, Kai Koch, Charlie Revai
- Castings: Lora Kennedy, Lucinda Syson
- Costume Designs: Kym Barrett, Pierre-Yves Gayraud
- D.O.P.s: Frank Griebe, John Toll
- Editors: Alexander Berner, Claus Wehlisch
- Makeups: Heike Merker, Daniel Parker, Jeremy Woodhead
- Musics: Reinhold Heil, Johnny Klimek, Tom Tykwer
- Production Designs: Hugh Bateup, Uli Hanisch
- Set Decorations: Rebecca Alleway, Peter Walpole
"Cloud Atlas" explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave dramatically through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Brandenburg, Germany; Düsseldorf, Germany; Edinburgh, Scotland; Glasgow, Scotland; Mallorca, Spain
- MPAA Warning: Violence, language, sexuality/nudity and some drug use
- Production Budget: $100 million
- Production Companies: X-Filme Creative Pool, Media Asia Group, ARD Degeto Film, Five Drops, Anarchos Pictures, Ascension Pictures, A Company Filmproduktionsgesellschaft
- Production Schedule: 16 September 2011 - December 2011
2012 Guide Analysis: "One of the singularly most ambitious projects to hit next year, and one that will likely catch many by surprise, is this ensemble historical sci-fi anthology film from "The Matrix" helmers the Wachowskis and "The International" director Tom Tykwer. Adapted from David Mitchell's 2004 novel, the film spans six different story lines over a millennia. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.
The stories in order include an American notary's voyage across the Pacific in 1850, a young English musician working as an amanuensis in 1930's Belgium, a 1970's Californian journalist investigating corruption around a nuclear plant, a modern day British publisher who becomes confined to a nursing home, a clone political prisoner being executed in a dystopian near future Korea, and a Hawaiian tribesman in a post-apocalyptic distant future telling a story around a campfire.
The massive cast includes those above plus Jim Sturgess, James D'Arcy, Ben Whishaw, Susan Sarandon and Keith David. All play multiple characters in the project and amusingly all sorts of characters of differing races, genders and more. So far nothing has really showcased what the final film will look like so right now its anybody's guess as to how visually impressive this will be."