- Cast: Gerard Butler, Jonny Weston, Elisabeth Shue, Abigail Spencer, Leven Rambin, Greg Long, Peter Mel , Zach Wormhoudt, Devin Crittenden, Taylor Handley, Cooper Timberline, Maya Raines, Harley Graham, Jenica Bergere, James Anthony Cotton, Channon Roe, Thomas Freil, L. Peter Callender, Richard Gross, Gary Griffis, Brandon Fleschner, Adam Del Rio, Keegan Boos, Christopher Sweeney, Elina Wells, Brandon Hooper
- Directors: Michael Apted, Curtis Hanson
- Writers: Kario Salem, Jim Meenaghan, Brandon Hooper
- Producers: Curtis Hanson, Brandon Hooper, Jim Meenaghan
- Associate Producer: Kathleen M. Courtney
- Executive Producers: Gerard Butler, Georgia Kacandes, Alan Siegel
- Art Direction: Chad Owens
- Castings: Nina Henninger, Venus Kanani, Mary Vernieu
- Costume Design: Sophie Carbonell
- D.O.P.s: Oliver Euclid, Bill Pope
- Editor: John Gilbert
- Makeup: Gretchen Davis
- Music: Chad Fischer
- Production Design: Ida Random
- Set Decoration: John Micheletos
The inspirational true story of real life surfing phenom Jay Moriarty. When 15 year old Jay discovers that the mythic Mavericks surf break, one of the biggest waves on Earth, is not only real, but exists just miles from his Santa Cruz home, he enlists the help of local legend Frosty Hesson to train him to survive it. As Jay and Frosty embark on their quest to accomplish the impossible, they form a unique friendship that transforms both their lives, and their quest to tame Mavericks becomes about far more than surfing.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Santa Cruz, USA
- MPAA Warning: Thematic elements and some perilous action
- Production Companies: Fox 2000 Pictures, Walden Media
- Production Schedule: 10 October 2011 - 19 December 2011
2012 Guide Analysis: "A biopic of American surfing legend Jay Moriarty which Walden Media and Fox 2000 are producing, this marks the return of "L.A. Confidential" and "Wonder Boys" director Curtis Hanson who last filmed 2007's fairly terrible "Lucky You".
Here he tackles the story of a young Santa Cruz surfer who famously conquered a stretch of treacherous Northern California waves, but later perished in a free-diving accident in the Maldives one day before he was to turn twenty-three. Butler plays Rick 'Frosty' Hesson, a fellow surfing legend and mentor character to the young man - not to mention the box-office pull for this film.
The production has already earned something of a reputation for minor disruptions. Butler was hospitalised briefly after being injured during a surfing stunt in mid-December. Added to that is Hanson experiencing complications from heart surgery, which left him incapable of finishing the production.
As a result Michael Apted ("The World is Not Enough") stepped in to take over as director on the last two weeks of shooting. Hanson is expected to fully recover, though how much involvement he'll have in the post-production phase isn't publicly known. With an October date being targeted though, there's enough time to iron out various issues."