- Cast: Nicolas Cage, January Jones, Jennifer Carpenter, Guy Pearce, Xander Berkeley, Irone Singleton, Harold Perrineau, Joe Chrest, Mike Pniewski, Donna Duplantier, Jason Davis, Cullen Moss, Marcus Lyle Brown, Wayne Pére, Markice Moore, Dikran Tulaine, Alex Van, J. Omar Castro, Haylie Creppel, Kylie Creppel, Mikki Val, Sharon Landry
- Director: Roger Donaldson
- Writers: Todd Hickey, Robert Tannen
- Producers: Ram Bergman, Tobey Maguire, James D. Stern
- Co Producer: Lucas Smith
- Executive Producers: Julie Goldstein, Douglas Hansen, Christopher Petzel , Jenno Topping
- Art Direction: Kelly Curley
- Castings: Venus Kanani, Mary Vernieu
- Costume Design: Caroline Eselin
- D.O.P.: David Tattersall
- Editor: Jay Cassidy
- Makeup: Martina Kohl
- Music: J. Peter Robinson
- Production Design: J. Dennis Washington
- Set Decoration: Alice Baker
This action-packed thriller stars Nicolas Cage as Will Gerard, a happily married family man whose quiet life is turned upside-down when his wife, Laura (January Jones), is brutally attacked one night while leaving work.
At the hospital, waiting for news about his wife’s condition, Will is approached by Simon, (Guy Pearce) who proposes an intriguing offer: Simon will arrange to have a complete stranger exact vengeance on Laura’s attacker, in exchange for a favor from Will in the near future.
Distraught and grief-stricken, Will consents to the deal, unwittingly pulling himself into a dangerous underground vigilante operation. While continuing to protect his wife from the truth, he quickly discovers that his quest for justice could lead to frightening and deadly consequences.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New Orleans, USA
- MPAA Warning: Violence, language and brief sexuality
- Production Budget: $30 million
- Production Companies: Endgame Entertainment, Aura Film Partnership, Fierce Entertainment, Endgame Entertainment, Material Pictures, Ram Bergman Productions, Maguire Entertainment
- Production Schedule: 2 December 2009 - 9 February 2010
2012 Guide Analysis: "Australian director Roger Donaldson ("The Recruit," "The Bank Job," "Thirteen Days") helms this $30 million thriller, originally titled "The Hungry Rabbit Jumps", which explores the downside of a genre that has seen a resurgence in popularity lately - the vigilante movie. Revenge thrillers have become very tedious and often avoid the truly dark costs that come with seeking one's own form of justice.
The story follows a bookish school teacher (Nicolas Cage) whose wife (January Jones) is the victim of a brutal rape while the pair are celebrating Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The bereaved husband subsequently becomes entangled with an underground vigilante organization in an effort to get revenge and soon finds himself in too far over his head.
There's some interesting ideas here, most notably how some citizens are taking the law into their own hands in a post-Katrina Louisiana. Reviews however have not been kind, saying that solid performances and direction along with some robust pacing are let down by the script. Certainly there's a common complaint that the second half drops into a far more predictable and dumb territory with Cage's protagonist making increasingly unlikely choices. Still, Donaldson has shown he can make a fairly solid little thrillers so this should be quite watchable."