- Cast: Blake Lively, Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Jana Banker, Candra Docherty, Patrick Fourmy, Gary Stretch, Benicio Del Toro, Diego Cataño, Shea Whigham, Karishma Ahluwalia, Joaquín Cosio, John Travolta, Jonathan Carr, Demián Bichir, Antonio Jaramillo, Salma Hayek, Jake McLaughlin, Alexander Wraith, Anthony Cutolo, Emile Hirsch, Kurt Collins, Amber Dixon, Leonard Roberts, Joel David Moore, Ali Wong, Sala Baker, Sandra Echeverría, Tara Stone, Matthew Saldivar, Sean Stone, Wilfredo Lopez, Marco Morales, Lucinda Serrano
- Director: Oliver Stone
- Writers: Shane Salerno, Don Winslow, Oliver Stone
- Producers: Moritz Borman, Eric Kopeloff
- Associate Producer: Evan Bates
- Executive Producers: Todd Arnow, Shane Salerno, Fernando Sulichin
- Art Direction: Lisa Vasconcellos
- Casting: Sarah Finn
- Costume Design: Cindy Evans
- D.O.P.: Daniel Mindel
- Editors: Joe Hutshing, Stuart Levy, Alex Marquez
- Makeup: Bill Corso
- Music: Adam Peters
- Production Design: Tomas Voth
- Set Decoration: Nancy Nye
Entrepreneurs Ben, a peaceful and charitable marijuana producer, and friend Chon, a former Navy SEAL, run a lucrative, homegrown industry - raising some of the best weed ever developed. They also share a one-of-a-kind love with Ophelia. Life is idyllic in their Southern California town... until the Mexican Baja Cartel decides to move in and demands that the trio partners with them.
When the merciless head of the BC, Elena and her enforcer, Lado, underestimate the unbreakable bond of the three friends, Ben and Chon - with the reluctant assistance of a dirty DEA agent - wage a seemingly unwinnable war against the cartel. And so begins a series of increasingly vicious ploys and maneuvers in a high stakes, savage battle of wills.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Los Angeles, USA; Santa Clarita, USA
- MPAA Warning: Strong brutal and grisly violence, some graphic sexuality, nudity, drug use and language throughout
- Production Budget: $45 million
- Production Companies: Ixtlan, Onda Entertainment, Relativity Media
- Production Schedule: 6 July 2011 - 30 September 2011
2012 Guide Analysis: "Oliver Stone tackles a crime drama with his latest project, a film adaptation of Don Winslow's well-received and best-selling novel. Stone is actually more suited to this genre than some of the other ones he's been diving into lately, so there's definite interest in what he can do with the material.
Winslow and Shane Salerno adapted the script which follows two best friend pot growers (Aaron Johnson, Taylor Kitsch) in Laguna who share a trippy girl named 'O' (Lively). The duo are so good at their job that an enforcer (Benicio Del Toro) demands they work for his boss, a Mexican drug cartel matriarch (Salma Hayek).
When they refuse, 'O' is kidnapped and they're forced to come up with a fortune in ransom. So they set out to hijack the cartel's drug supply. Stone has been so keen on the project he began adapting the script before the book was published and is personally investing in this film. Certainly a film exploring a battle between well-funded Mexican cartels and independent California growers could make for both a fun and thrilling tale.
Jennifer Lawrence was originally cast as O, but dropped out to do "The Hunger Games" and was replaced with "Green Lantern" love interest Blake Lively. She's surrounded by two hunks (John Carter's Kitsch and Kick Ass' Johnson) along with a strong supporting cast including Emile Hirsch, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Trevor Donovan and Demián Bichir. Stone recently claimed he's hoping it will get an earlier release than the late September bow it's currently scheduled for."