- Cast: Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, Sarah Baker, Dylan McDermott, Katherine LaNasa, Brian Cox, John Lithgow, Dan Aykroyd, Scott A. Martin, Thomas Middleditch, Josh Lawson, Karen Maruyama, Amelia Jackson-Gray, Heather Lawless, Grant Goodman, Kya Haywood, Randall D. Cunningham, Madison Wolfe, Billy Slaughter, Kate Lang Johnson, Elizabeth Wells Berkes, P.J. Byrne, Joe Chrest, Mike Mizanin, Tzi Ma, Glen Warner, J.D. Evermore, Emily D. Haley, Lance E. Nichols, John Cenatiempo, Marco St. John, Grant Case, Sara Kenley, Kevin Beard, Colleen Craig, Joseph Uzzell, Trey Burvant, Taryn Terrell, Dylan DePaula
- Director: Jay Roach
- Writers: Chris Henchy, Shawn Harwell
- Producers: Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Adam McKay, Jay Roach
- Executive Producer: Amy Sayres
- Art Direction: Kelly Curley
- Costume Design: Daniel Orlandi
- D.O.P.: Jim Denault
- Editor: Craig Alpert
- Makeup: Nikki Brown
- Music: Theodore Shapiro
- Production Design: Michael Corenblith
When long-term congressman Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) commits a major public gaffe before an upcoming election, a pair of ultra-wealthy CEOs plot to put up a rival candidate and gain influence over their North Carolina district. Their man: naïve Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis), director of the local Tourism Center. At first, Marty appears to be the unlikeliest possible choice but, with the help of his new benefactors’ support, a cutthroat campaign manager and his family’s political connections, he soon becomes a contender who gives the charismatic Cam plenty to worry about.
As Election Day closes in, the two are locked in a dead heat, with insults quickly escalating to injury until all they care about is burying each other, in this mud-slinging, back-stabbing, home-wrecking comedy from “Meet the Parents” director Jay Roach that takes today’s political circus to its logical next level. Because even when you think campaign ethics have hit rock bottom, there’s room to dig a whole lot deeper.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: New Orleans, USA
- MPAA Warning: Crude sexual content, language and brief nudity
- Production Companies: Everyman Pictures, Gary Sanchez Productions
- Production Schedule: 19 November 2011 - 17 February 2012
2012 Guide Analysis: "Ahead of next year's elections comes this comedy about two rival politicians who are trying to win an election to represent their small North Carolina congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives.
What makes this stand out though are the team involved. In front of the camera it's Will Ferrell & Zach Galifianakis as the two politicians with the likes of Dylan McDermott, John Lithgow, Brian Cox, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Aykroyd, J.K. Simmons, Gary Cole and Richard Lewis in supporting roles.
Behind the camera is a script by "Eastbound & Down" writers Shawn Harwell and Chris Henchy, producer Adam McKay ("Anchorman," "Talladega Nights") and director Jay Roach ("Austin Powers," "Meet the Parents"). The project will be shooting through until February so very little has come out about it as yet. Should be a decent late Summer comedy."