- Cast: Jennifer Garner, Olivia Wilde, Hugh Jackman, Ashley Greene, Alicia Silverstone, Ty Burrell, Kristen Schaal, Rob Corddry, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Phyllis Smith, Joe Chrest, Yara Shahidi, Mark Oliver, Ted Ferguson, Dodie Brown, Jody Thompson, Lanie Taylor, Corena Chase, Robin McGee, Charlotte Biggs, Kevin A. Green, Jed Fox, Cindy Creekmore, Shelli Fox, Brett Hill, Deana Ricks, Rachel Greene, Keri Shahidi, Kelly Tippens, Judy Leavell, Jude Gavi, Garrett Schenck, Rj Hanson, Juanita Harrison, Daniel Mignault, Jennifer Benton, Everett Hibner, Herb Johnston, Christopher Ritch, Pearce Colwell
- Director: Jim Field Smith
- Writer: Jason A. Micallef
- Producers: Michael De Luca, Jennifer Garner, Juliana Janes, Alissa Phillips
- Associate Producer: Lisa C. Satriano
- Executive Producers: Kelly Carmichael, Ben Ormand, Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein
- Art Direction: Greg Richman
- Casting: Carmen Cuba
- Costume Design: Susie DeSanto
- D.O.P.: Jim Denault
- Editors: Matt Garner, Dan Schalk
- Makeup: Louisa Gore Hamn
- Music: Mateo Messina
- Production Design: Tony Fanning
- Set Decoration: Cynthia La Jeunesse
A tale of competition at its most cut-throat, "Butter" surveys the raw ambition of Laura Pickler (Jennifer Garner), the wife of Bob Pickler (Ty Burrell), Iowa's long-reigning champion butter carver. For 15 years, Laura has relished her high-profile role as the beautiful, loyal helpmate to her affable, artistically gifted husband.
But when Bob is pressured to retire and allow someone else a chance at glory, an indignant Laura decides to enter the competition herself. She is first in line on sign-up day, only to see her odds of victory fall below 100 with the arrival of an unlikely yet formidable contender: 10-year-old Destiny (Yara Shahidi), the African-American foster child of local couple Julie and Ethan (Alicia Silverstone and Rob Corddry). And that's not all. Bob's would-be mistress, bad-girl stripper Brooke (Olivia Wilde) also declares her candidacy, as does his #1 fan, Carol-Ann (Kristen Schaal).
Facing three opponents, mocked by her stepdaughter Kaitlen (Ashley Greene) and furious with her husband, Laura resolves to do whatever it takes to win. And if that means resorting to sabotage – and recruiting her dim-witted former boyfriend Boyd (Hugh Jackman) as a co-conspirator – then so be it.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Shreveport, USA
- MPAA Warning: Language, sexual content and brief drug use
- Production Companies: Michael De Luca Productions, Vandalia Films, The Weinstein Company
- Production Schedule: 6 April 2010 - 19 May 2010
2012 Guide Analysis: "Jason Micallef's debut script landed him right onto the 2008 Black List which saw this comedy quickly head into production. The story follows an adopted teen who discovers her talent for butter carving and finds herself pitted against an ambitious local woman (Garner) in their small Iowan town's annual contest.
Screened at Telluride, reviews for this Midwest satire were quite strong saying that while it does pander to crowd pleasing conventions at the end, much of the runtime is wickedly edgy with a mean streak recalling Alexander Payne's earliest efforts like "Election" and "Citizen Ruth". The cast is very strong and Garner looks to deliver her best work in the genre in years, hopefully this will be an indie that can break through ala "Little Miss Sunshine"."