- Cast: Lior Ashkenazi, Yuval Scharf, Shlomo Bar-Aba, Aliza Rosen, Albert Iluz, Alma Zack, Nevo Kimchi, Micah Lewensohn, Shmuel Shiloh, Idit Teperson, Daniel Markovich, Nina Traub, Daria Robichek, Natalia Faust, Michael Koresh, Dana Glozman, Dali Shachnaey, Itay Polishuk, Neli Tagar, Jonnie Shualy, Jackey Levi
- Director: Joseph Cedar
- Writer: Joseph Cedar
- Producers: Joseph Cedar, Leon Edery, Moshe Edery, David Mandil
- Executive Producer: Michal Graidy
- Casting: Hila Yuval
- D.O.P.: Yaron Scharf
- Editor: Einat Glaser-Zarhin
- Makeup: Ronit Arviv
- Music: Amit Poznansky
- Production Design: Arad Sawat
The story of a great rivalry between a father and son, both eccentric professors in the Talmud department of Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
The son has an addictive dependency on the embrace and accolades that the establishment provides, while his father is a stubborn purist with a fear and profound revulsion for what the establishment stands for, yet beneath his contempt lies a desperate thirst for some kind of recognition.
The Israel Prize, Israel's most prestigious national award, is the jewel that brings these two to a final, bitter confrontation.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Israel
- MPAA Warning: Thematic elements, brief nudity, language and smoking
- Production Companies: Movie Plus, United King Films
2012 Guide Analysis: "Winner of nine Ophir awards and Israel's official entry for the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film, Joseph Cedar's drama deals with a power struggle between a father and his son who both teach at the Talmud department of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Talmud is a central text of mainstream Judaism and the small department is famous worldwide for its uncompromising methods - resulting in epic stubbornness and near mythological rivalries between scholars. Premiering in Cannes, the film scored not just rave reviews but the Best Screenplay Award for this tale of an epic but personal battle. A true highlight of the art house film circuit this Spring."