- Cast: Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan, James Badge Dale, Hannah Ware, Amy Hargreaves, Nicole Beharie, Elizabeth Masucci, Lucy Walters, Briana Marin, Anna Rose Hopkins, Alexandra Vino, Jake Richard Siciliano, Robert Montano, Alex Manette, Charisse Bellante, Jay Ferraro, Frank Harts, Wenne Alton Davis, Mackenzie Shivers, Eric T. Miller, Kate Dearing, Stephane Nicoli, Mari-Ange Ramirez, Carl Low, Rachel Farrar, John A. Heck
- Director: Steve McQueen
- Writers: Steve McQueen, Abi Morgan
- Producers: Iain Canning, Emile Sherman
- Co Producer: Bergen Swanson
- Executive Producers: Peter Hampden, Tim Haslam, Tessa Ross, Robert Walak
- Art Direction: Charles Kulsziski
- Casting: Avy Kaufman
- Costume Design: David C. Robinson
- D.O.P.: Sean Bobbitt
- Editor: Joe Walker
- Makeup: Marilyn Carbone
- Music: Harry Escott
- Production Design: Judy Becker
- Set Decoration: Heather Loeffler
Brandon is a New Yorker who shuns intimacy with women but feeds his desires with a compulsive addiction to sex. When his wayward younger sister moves into his apartment stirring memories of their shared painful past, Brandon's insular life spirals out of control.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: New York City, USA
- Production Budget: $6.5 million
- Production Companies: See Saw Films, Film4
- Production Schedule: January 2011 - April 2011
2011 Guide Analysis: "After making a truly stunning debut with 2008's bleak Irish prison drama "Hunger", British artist turned filmmaker Steve McQueen is re-teaming with that film's breakout star Michael Fassbender for this intriguing sounding relationship drama which recently began shooting in New York. Not expected to be as harrowing as "Hunger", "Shame" will still paint a haunting picture of an epidemic in modern society that almost no-one talks about - porn addiction.
Specifically reports indicate Fassbender plays an everyday thirty-something guy whose addiction to porn means he finds it extremely difficult to connect to women on anything but a superficial level. That puts a blossoming relationship he's developed with a confident and attractive woman in jeopardy. In an age where true social interaction is dwindling and extreme pornography is a just mouse click away, kids these days have usually seen more extreme smut by the time they hit their twenties than their parents saw in an entire life time.
What kind of toll psychologically that ultimately takes is hard to say, physically though it can lead to obvious issues from erectile dysfunction to anti-social behaviour. McQueen and "Brick Lane" scribe Abi Morgan penned the script for the film which has already become a hot seller in several international markets. McQueen says the film will "explore the nature of need and how people react to the experiences of their lives". No dates as yet but best guess is McQueen will be hurrying to have this ready for a Venice or Toronto bow."